[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 205x350, Snowcrash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3434533 No.3434533[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

The Rat Things are a silly idea
>There are also talking dogs in Holy Fire
The whole 5-page rant on religion and linguistics was a little much
>was any of that shit actually based in fact?
The 'pooning' of cars is a cool idea but pretty much means we won't see a movie out of this
The Metaverse is a great concept, wish there would have been more of it
Hiro never got to have sex with Y.T.
Mixing our brain stem with binary code is a great idea, was probably new at the time
WTF was Reason all about? Wouldn't the shooter get contaminated?
Did Da5id ever get better?
Did Stephenesen really popularize the term 'avatar'?
Very exciting climax.

>> No.3434635

>WTF was Reason all about?

It was a fancy depleted uranium gatling gun powered by a nuclear fusion flower

> Wouldn't the shooter get contaminated?
probably

>Did Da5id ever get better?
No

>Did Stephenesen really popularize the term 'avatar'?
Possibly

>> No.3434844

>>3434533

>The Rat Things are a silly idea

Yes, and lots of things are silly. I only read mature books for mature people like myself.

>The whole 5-page rant on religion and linguistics was a little much

Rant? It was pretty interesting. I knew most of it from before, but a couple of things were new and he weaved it into the plot very well.

Of course. All of it was. This isn't Dan Brown.

>The 'pooning' of cars is a cool idea but pretty much means we won't see a movie out of this

A movie would be terrible. Do you even read?

>The Metaverse is a great concept, wish there would have been more of it

Read more Sci-fi. Or stay on the internet for a couple of years, as it is actually happening.

>Hiro never got to have sex with Y.T.

He did, if you know how to read between the lines. But she was 15 so writing it straight-out would be a bad idea unless you just want to be controversial.

>Mixing our brain stem with binary code is a great idea, was probably new at the time

Not new, no not really.

>Did Da5id ever get better?

Unknown, probably not.

Did Stephenesen really popularize the term 'avatar'?

Yes.

>Very exciting climax.

Not really, in my opinion.

>> No.3435578

the talking dogs in Holy Fire had extensive implants to enhance their neural functions, and it was illustrated at length that giving a dog the ability to speak didn't make it intelligent, which is why that famous talking dog was a talk show host.

>> No.3435604

I thought the Rat Things were awesome. I mean they're mechanically altered pit bulls that run on radioactive isotopes and have to constantly move at hundreds of kilometres per hour or risk overheating. Their networked version of barking was great as well. What exactly was silly about them?

>> No.3436186

>>3435604
reminded me of that scene from 101 dalmations

>> No.3436206

>>3434533
>>was any of that shit actually based in fact?
Not a single fucking word. It's David Icke-tier quack science.

>> No.3436352

>>3436206
so speaketh the solid engineer who doesn't even look at a schematic unless he knows beforehand that it can be built using today's materials and knowledge. "it's all bullshit unless I personally approve."

>> No.3436372

>>3434844
>He did, if you know how to read between the lines.
Are you sure about that? I thought they just hung out an ate at restaurants and stuff.
>But she was 15 so writing it straight-out would be a bad idea unless you just want to be controversial.
But there's a very detailed and graphic sex scene with her and Raven towards the end of the book

>> No.3437328
File: 33 KB, 304x500, cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I found The Diamond Age more enjoyable to read.

>Dat storing of information in one's bloodstream and passing it on through bodily fluids (i.e. sex).

>> No.3437355

>>3434533

Sumerian language being very unique in structure and that stuff about the first system of laws seem legit from what I've found out. Other than that, it's mostly just playing with the idea of literal mindhacking through memetic ideas.