[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 32 KB, 380x380, crimepun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3412540 No.3412540 [Reply] [Original]

And suddenly my passion for reading has returned. Thanks, Fyodor.

I watch a lot of murder mysteries and TV shows (Sherlock with Cumberbatch), and having just finished the chapter where Raskolnikov does THAT and returns home, a detail suddenly popped into my head.

>the floor was freshly painted

Without spoiling it, am I right to pick up on this? Shoe marks on the floor, if the shoe fits, etc.

>> No.3412544

Wow, you're reading Crime and Punishment entirely wrong. You like couldn't be more wrong in what you're doing.

>> No.3412549

It's not really important whether he gets caught or not; focus on his thoughts and actions during the process.

>>3412544
I wouldn't say he's reading it wrong because at that particular point in time you would definitely be wondering if/how Raskolnikov fucked up.

>> No.3412552

>>3412544
>Reading
>Wrong
Wat

>> No.3412695
File: 11 KB, 188x268, post.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP

Are you sure you're reading the book and not one of the horrids manga-anime rip-off of C&P (pic related)?

Are you seriously expecting crime and punishment to be a XIX century CSI??

Because SPOILERS! porphyre petrovitch does not code a gui in visual basic to track raskolnikov intentions. If you want that kind of stuff you should READ and not watch sherlock holmes (SPOILER sherlock holmes are actual books, not only TV shows)

You should read crime and punishment as a lesson in life and it's meaning, on arrogance, on rationalisation, on good/bad decision and on redemption

It is a very 2deep book

>> No.3412707

>You have just realized that each and every one of you are Raskolnikov, you just dont want to admit it

>> No.3412718

All pseudo-psychology aside, it's basically a book about how all of the then-new popular philosophies are hypocritical and dangerous and we need Jesus to save us.

>> No.3412729

Is it really spoilers to say that Raskolnikov murders an old woman when that's essentially the setup for what the book is about? Like, it would be nearly impossible to describe to someone what the book is even vaguely about without mentioning the murder.

>> No.3412733

y'all niggas postin' in a troll thread

>> No.3412736

>>3412540
>>the floor was freshly painted
Wrong apartment doofus

>> No.3412740

>>3412544
>>3412695
OP here, just because I said I like mystery movies and tv shows does not mean you can make all kinds of assumptions about how SERIOUSLY I read the fucking book and whether or not I am a casual that should be spurned.

When did /lit/ become so pretentious/holier-than-thou/"um like, I don't even HAVE a tv"?

Yes I realize that deeper than the surface level and PLOT, which many of you pretentious assholes seem to despise (hurr durr reading for plot op? that's cute) for some reason, that Fyodor is commenting on broader themes like the nature of crime and criminal pathology itself, rationalizing the morality of crime (analyzes Mill's utilitarian "greatest happiness for greatest number" principle) and the punishment of crime, etc. etc. etc., but just because I make a thread asking whether my intuitions as to "oooooh is this how Raskolnikov fucked up and petrovitch is gonna screw his ass?" doesn't mean you need to treat me like some drooling dunce who doesn't even know how to read.

fuck.

>> No.3412746
File: 181 KB, 1680x1050, 125565644.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3412740
>petrovitch
how do you know about porfiry?

>> No.3412753

>>3412740

Ignore that, OP. People will often be cruel to make themselves appear better. It's so ingrained that even on an anonymous image board, where no one will ever know who said what, people still cloy for attention through cruelty and juvenile jokes at the expense of anything they can cling to.

Keep reading. Enjoy it.

>> No.3412759

>>3412746
because my english professor was talking about this book and commented on how brilliant the back-and-forth dialogue between Raskolnikov and Petrovich* was, how it reminded him of Columbo "just one more thing"-esque interrogations.