[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 350x473, Beckett.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3411343 No.3411343 [Reply] [Original]

The writer has read too much Walser. He has chosen to best the best way to best the writer who is the best in his list of literature’s best. To exemplify the progress his current generation has made through the minuteness of Silicon chips and pocket libraries, he has devised the nanoscript. An artist flourishes under limits thus he will put the greatest of all spatial limitation upon him and compose a novel to occupy the space of a grain of rice. The writer’s oeuvre fits in a burlap sack and is composed of 1,000s of novels through the use of a pen knife dipped in Indian ink and a small microscopic lens he has attached to the frame of his glasses. Daily laboring at his desk mark-making the grains; he burrows his head in his hands and weeps at the thought that no one will read them. And thus his choice to best the best way to best the writer who is the best in his list of literature’s best. The boiling water turns black and the markings swirl together in the pot; this ink is what Deleuze means when he says the “sense” of a word because they are, at the day of the end, all composed of the same-self stuff. Then in feeding upon the rice, the canonical greatness and relevancy of his performance upsets his stomach. Choking on his own vomit, the writer has his greatest effect.

>> No.3411365

Did you write that? Who wrote that? It's beautiful.

>> No.3411372

>>3411365
Yeah I meant to post it to the freewrite thing but I done messed up. Thanks a lot for thinking so; I was unsure about posting it here.

>> No.3411382

>>3411372

Mon Oncle Tony, if you really did write that, then you are very talented.

I'd like to read more.

>> No.3411391

>>3411382
Here's a poem.

Pose

Ask me the
question
marked in
the word

supposing
we two are
pre-
position

>I'm not a fan of the last two lines.

>> No.3411451

>>3411382
thanks for saying so

>> No.3411461

>>3411391

I'll be honest, I don't understand it. I've been looking at it for a few minutes and come up with a few ideas about it but I don't think they are what you intended. Maybe someone a little sharper could appreciate it straight away, I don't know. I do like it, but I just don't get it.

Anyway, I'm going to put my email here too, because I like what you've written a lot. Email me if you want to talk about writing, lit, get an opinion, bullshit, whatever

digitalrituals [at] gmail.com

>> No.3411471

>>3411391
are you a fan of Creeley?

>> No.3411484

>>3411471
Yeah actually. A few of my literature professors in college actually worked with him. They were L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E poets. I actual wrote this one because I pissed off at this one poet and how she was teaching the class.

>> No.3411507

>>3411484
Me too, actually, I have two professors who had or worked with Creeley in grad school in Buffalo. I love his abilities with the short lines and I like that poem you posted. some of them 80's L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E poets get a bit off for me though

>> No.3411545

>>3411507
yeah. I saw Lyn Hejinian read and it really turned me off from reading more of her poetry. A lot of those guys (not including Charles Bernstein) are really on a Gertrude Stein kick, which is alright because Stein is excellent. Bernstein was easily one of the most powerful reading I've ever been to.

>> No.3411567

>>3411545
I like Bernstein and think he totally has a grasp on what it means to go abstract successfully. I respect some of those theories about the poem strategically repulsing the attention of the reader and trying to mess with the ideas of the reader's expectations... I read some essay a while ago about it and it helped me understand him.
Very happy you got to see the man and I'd love to see him read myself-- it would help.

>> No.3411653

>>3411567
>go abstract successfully
that's definitely how I would describe it. I guess he's been going through a lot of shit because of a recent tragedy. The reading was (in a way) kind of a veiled way of dealing with it, but without mentioning it. Like the poems circling around this very tragic center. He was very self-critical and mocking his pedant-status.
Are you still in school? I just graduated this past March and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Read anything good lately?

>> No.3412640

>>3411653
Yes I'm on my 4th year Uni. Been reading Apollinaire and I like his style a lot. Also been trying to finish Sherwood Anderson's Winesburg Ohio.

>> No.3412674

>>3411484
Have you read any Ron Silliman? If not, I recommend him for a good language poet. I really enjoyed The Age of Huts and his book of theory The New Sentence (helped me understand whaty language poetry was actually going for).

>> No.3413359
File: 363 KB, 914x1152, WilliamBlake_CreationOfEve.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3412640
How is WInesburg?
I like what I've read of Apollinaire. A lot of those french writers, poets especially, use form in such fantastic ways. "Il Pleut" is incredible in the fact that it seems like such an "out there" form but the poem still conforms to the Alexandrine meter. I've been really fascinated by Baudelaire as of late. The prose poems are both precise and haunting, which is difficult to pull off since what haunts us in writing is often what is not stated. Baudelaire can show you things as they are and perfectly capture the underlying horror of their existence.
How is Winesburg Ohio? I've been wanting to read that. I've heard it hasn't aged as well, but I find that hard to believe considering it's influence.
>>3412674
I haven't read any of him yet. I saw The New Sentence at City Lights and I regret not picking it up. It should be easy to find a pdf somewhere online though. He read at my college as well when I was there, but I wasn't able to attend.
I checked out Uncreative Writing and Notebook on Conceptualisms; the latter of which I really enjoyed as a way of describing the trajectory of contemporary writing (poetry). I'm not too big a fan of "found poetry" as it is somewhat born from a belief of modernism to efface the artist's hand, while bringing it to it ideas of the self born from post-structuralism. I have qualms about found poetry's relevancy outside of poetry I guess, with all of the rampant narcissism in social media.
Thanks for the recommendation; I'll see if my library has it.