[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 100 KB, 800x1321, ursula-k-le-guin_1974_the-dispossessed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3401746 No.3401746 [Reply] [Original]

Does /lit/ reads Le Guin? I just read The Dispossessed and I liked it a lot. I thought it was more thought out and subtler than most SF (but as subtle as you can be while you're writing what is basically the anarchist Atlas Shrugged) in how it presented an ambiguous anarchist society that seemed like it could actually exist with faults and problems.

I am reading The Left Hand of Darkness now and I'm really liking it.

>> No.3401764

I liked earthsea a lot when I was younger, the character of tenar is probably one of the better represented females in fantasy.

>> No.3401766

The Dispossessed was really good OP. I completely agree with you.

Her other books sound a lot less interesting. I did read the first Earthsea book. Meh.

>> No.3401772

I love The Dispossessed. I think the comparison to Atlas Shrugged is a little unfair. I think LeGuin was much more fair than Rand. Both the anarchist world and the capitalist world seem to have their advantages and flaws (hence 'ambiguous utopia', which one is even the utopia?). Of course, LeGuins biases to end up showing through and probably favoring the anarchists, but I thought it was a much more even handed representation than you see in people trying to do a similar thing.

>> No.3404784

Really like Rocannon's World, very sorrowful. Just started Planet of Exile.

>> No.3404817

The Dispossessed was one of my favorites of all the books I read last year.

>> No.3404877

I enjoyed 'the left hand of darkness' a lot. It was totally different to any Sci-fi book I read before..