[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 51 KB, 559x450, gabrielgarciamarquezblackeyepic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3397207 No.3397207[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Here's what I think, IMO. A novel doesn't have to have all of these to be postmodern, usually one or two will be enough, although more criteria is more postmodern.

>complex language, i.e. vocabulary, sentence structure and phrasing
>non-chronological storytelling
>obscure references
>weird character names
>playful / black humour
>normal and weird sex
>either no plot, or no central plot
>saying serious things in a funny, strange or absurd way
>very long
>meta-fiction, e.g. breaking down the fourth wall

Gotta love postmodernism, nothing like it.

>> No.3397216

1. Henry James
2. Heart of Darkness
3. Tristram Shandy
4. Yorick, Trim Tristram Shandy again
5. A Modest Proposal
6. Philosophy of the Bedroom
7. Tristram Shandy
8. Mark Twain
9. Tom Jones
10. Tristram Shandy

>> No.3397224
File: 69 KB, 640x960, girlwithhairaccessorypic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3397216

Bowgirl didn't like your post.

>> No.3397264

http://fuuka.warosu.org/lit?search_ord=new&ghost=yes&search_text=postmodern&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_res=post&task=search2&search_username=sunhawk&offset=48

Lol, Suncawk done made another postmodernism thread.

>> No.3397277
File: 165 KB, 715x305, Sunhawk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3397264
>Coming of age

hahahah

>> No.3397362

>>3397277
the pic isnt bad, though i'd tack "loss of innocence" to "coming of age", as it is the human condition univeral GOAT

>> No.3397372

>Bad writing
>Pretending shocking content is good content
>Awful choice of words
>Embarrassing themes

>> No.3397374

>>3397277

>literary fiction
>genre

>> No.3397439

What comes after post-modernism?

modern-postism?

>> No.3397455

>>3397439
post-literacy

>> No.3397461

>>3397374
>literary fiction
>not a genre
Oh, yeah? Then, describe Nausea to me in one word (hard mode: can't use synonyms or the books' title).

>> No.3397463

>>3397439
Modern potzism.

>> No.3397469

>>3397439
>What comes after post-modernism?

New-realism.

>> No.3397475

>>3397439
Just be glad it's coming. Post-modernism is like the petulant teenager realizing he's never going to be 'recognized' for his art, so he rebels by creating purposefully shitty art.
It's like Holden Caulfield, the art form.

>> No.3397480

>>3397461

I haven't read it.

But all I'm saying is that any story can be literature -- a western, sci-fi, romance, paranormal -- 'literature' is not really a term that comments on content, but more a comment on the quality of the content.

Think of some 'literary' works. Now think of what they have in common with 'genre' fiction and then what they have in common with other literary works.

The only common thread in literature is the quality of the work and the importance of the questions posed. A romance novel may centre around a woman that lusts for a man and the problems this causes. All it takes for this genre novel to become 'literature' is for the quality of the conflict to change into something of the soul. Literature asks questions about humanity, about our lives, spirituality, the 'meaning' of it all.

Literature is just a tag applied to works that are seen to be of quality in prose and thought.

>> No.3397504

>>3397264
How the fuck can someone post so much about post-modernism without ever seeming to read any modernism?
>>3397216
Sterne's almost cheating, he did both modernism and post-modernism before they were created.

>> No.3397507

>>3397461
Philosophical

>> No.3397513

>>3397439
Post-Postmodernism
Hypermodernism
Altermodernism
Post-Millenialism
Metamodernism
New Sincerity
Haven'tgotafuckingclueism

>> No.3397520
File: 102 KB, 1198x304, sssss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sunhawk, you shitposting faggot. Why don't you post something new instead of recycling the same awful posts?

>> No.3397531

Post Modern is not the problem,
It's amateurs,
It's just like Poetry,
every beginner thinks they can create outside of the box, just like every teenager thinks that they can do poetry, just like every highschooler thinks they can slap together random junk and call it a sculpture of "Modern Art"

Because they think that Post-Modernism is about being strange and calling it art. Being strange and having people infer depth from your strangness. "I spilled paint on the canvas, try and find meaning in it." Missing the fact that art is still all about communication, Communication of ideas, feelings and complex concepts, And that as trite as it sounds, it really is true that "you have to learn the rules so you know when to break them."
A postmodern book about someone suffering a mental illness, written in a meta style that gives the reader a sense of what it feels like to have that illness, isn't less structured than a traditional work, if anything, it needs to be more structured, because it needs to do many things at once.
This isn't to say that all modern art isn't lazy, and that postmodernism isn't pretentious, because too often, they are and it is, but it has a purpose.

I think Catcher in the Rye sucks, but it's not a disorganized mess, it's efficient. (on /lit you can hate something and realize it's well put together)

(Btw to complete the analogies, let's throw a music one in there as well, It's like someone saying "ooh look, metal is just a bunch of noise, so I can do metal!" and then people getting sick of metal because of all of the lazy imitators on the fringe, who think it's just a matter of screaming like you have esophageal cancer, and hitting the drums a couple times.

Don't ever write off a whole genre of human expression just because of some unoriginal, lazy, fringe imitators.

>> No.3397564
File: 44 KB, 298x400, Charles_Thomson._Sir_Nicholas_Serota_Makes_an_Acquisitions_Decision.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3397583

Breakdown of meaning, and the search for it.

See: Waiting For Godot, V

>> No.3397595

anything that directly addresses modernist literature or the aspects thereof

>> No.3397606

Sunhawk, you have such a superficial understanding of literature. Why do you even bother?

>> No.3397690

>>3397531

My tastes in reading lately have been way more realistic, because most experimental stuff is hellaciously unfun to read.... It requires an amount of work on the part of the reader that's grotesquely disproportionate to its payoff... I feel like I am as a reader like a small child, and adults are having a conversation over my head; that this is really a book being written for other writers, theorists, and critics. And that any of that kind of stomach of magic, of “God damn, it's fun to read. I'd rather read right now than eat,” has been totally lost... I think there's a reason why a lot of avant-garde stuff gets neglected: I think that a lot of it deserves to be. Same with a lot of poetry. That's written for other people that write poetry, and not for people that read.

>> No.3397768

hey sunhawk can you shut up

>> No.3397783

so... The Quixote will be posmodern literature...

>> No.3397802
File: 134 KB, 582x720, girltshirtpic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There is above average Sunhawk hating in this thread. Although it could be a lot of samefagging (like it often is on this board).

>> No.3397811

and, as is unsurprising, sunhawk has the most immature understanding of literary movements and their ideals.

>> No.3397822

>>3397802
>There is above average Sunhawk hating in this thread
What do you expect? This guy >>3397520 revealed that you actually Ctrl+V your old threads.

>> No.3397830

Only on /lit/ can you go 20 posts without anyone addressing the original question or statement.