[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 63 KB, 350x343, 0511-0903_Finnish_Elementary_Student_Reading_a_Book_clipart_image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3367304 No.3367304 [Reply] [Original]

How do I speed up my reading while still understanding the text and not getting lost and have to reread every couple of sentence? Are there any sites out there that helps you train this skill? How fast do you think you read?

It took me maybe 40 minutes to read this piece. It's around 5600 words. Considering it's non-fiction and more academical in structure, the pace of reading might be slowed down. Nonetheless I still feel like I'm reading very slow.
http://www.investorsinsight.com/blogs/john_mauldins_outside_the_box/archive/2008/06/12/the-geopolitics-of-china.aspx

While reading novels and fiction, do you skip or "quick-read" certain paragraphs while keeping a full understanding?

>> No.3367309

Oh yeah, I'm also non-native English speaker if that even matters

>> No.3367318

Don't try to speed read.

You're not reading very slow, you are reading at normal speed, you just think you are reading very slow. Read at your own pace.

Don't try to change that pace. Keep on reading it will adjust itself to your needs. If you have to try is because you are putting in your head that you should read faster for one reason or another. I'll tell, you don't need to read any faster or any slower.

>> No.3367337

yeah it's kinda slow, but just read a lot and you'll pick up speed.

thanks for the link though this looks interesting

>> No.3367358

>>3367318
Ah, alright. Well, how do I master the arts of stretch reading and not drifting away with my mind every five minutes? I guess best way is simply to keep reading longer texts?

What do you find suits you the best? Reading for 30 minutes, take a 5 minute break and repeat?

>> No.3367422

>>3367358
The key misconception is to think that there is something wrong in the relationship betwen you and what you are reading. Drifting away means there is a problem with other things, distractions, stuff in your head, anxiety. Perhaps the very same anxiety that makes you want to read faster.

Cut the distractions from your environment. Sit perfectly still for a minute or two, pick up the book. Clear your head and empty your day a bit, don't multitask. That will give you room for you to fit your book.

Don't interrupt unless you feel like it, but don't feel guilty about it either. If something is really bothering you, don't read until you fix it, or else you won't feel like you're really reading and you will continue drifting away. Pay attention to where you are going when you lose your focus on the book, because that thing is something that draws your attention more than the book. And, obviously, for a reason. What reason would that be? Ask yourself that the next time and seek to understand it.

There is no art to be mastered here, it's really a simple thing to do: to sit and read for a few hours. So why can't we do such a simple thing? Perhaps our lives are way too complicated. It's hard to be simple.

Calm down. Look how even for something like that you are already making plans and questioning techniques, and "how to"s. This is a problem of modern times. Think less and not more. Give room for the book in your head.

>> No.3367483

>>3367422
Thank you for this much valuable advice. I really appreciate it.

Indeed, I am perhaps too used to multitasking considering the large amount of time I've spend, and keep spending in front of the computer. I'll have to try getting away from it more. Reading in another room without the monitor being constantly in my field of vision. Go for walks to clear the head. Thanks

>> No.3367494

>>3367483
Sounds like a good idea.

Good reading!