[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 159 KB, 677x407, dt7-12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3344287 No.3344287 [Reply] [Original]

What's /lit/s opinion on the Dark Tower series? I'm a big Stephen King fan and I love the Dark Tower series most out of his entire library. Has anyone else read all 7 and have any thoughts? I know Stephen King is plep trash but whatevs.

>> No.3344304

Why do you need to know /lit/'s opinion?
You've read them

>> No.3344306

I really like the first book as its own entity. Once the overarching plot started to resolve into place, I lost interest.

King isn't forward thinking enough to pull off an epic. Instead what he managed was to butcher the mystery and wonder of the world presented in the Gunslinger.

>> No.3344311

>>3344287
I read the first 4 books when I was quiet young (about 16 or younger) and the rest years later. Maybe it is the age difference and the fact that I hadn't read much at all, but I always thought the first 4 books are amazing, while the last 3 are shit tier compared to the others.
What I liked was the overall ending, but that is about it.

I don't know, what was off-putting the most, was the fact that in the first books, every deja-vu or symbolism that the characters experianced was only hinted. They might have seen a strange drawing and noticed, that something is up with it. That it is important.

In the last 3 books a certain thing (That number or year or what it was, don't remember anymore)was basically thrown at the reader very few pages like 'HEY DON'T FORGET IT, THIS IS IMPORTANT!'
And don't get me started on the whole Stepen King suddenly appearing in the novel itself...

>> No.3344355

>>3344311
I didn't mind that at all. Given that the whole premise was about whole universes inside of other universes, it was only natural to get metafictional.

>> No.3344398

>>3344355
This. It didn't bother me in the slightest. I love the whole series, and I honestly think the most recent one might be my favorite.

>> No.3344529

>>3344287
lel harry potter seeker omg soo meta

stephan mcking you are everything we expected of you and less

except for the cancer

your family will be sad

>> No.3344592

>>3344311

It's not the age difference. This was exactly how I felt when reading all of them in the same year. First 4 are excellent. The rest are horrible.

>> No.3344642

I'd rank the books like this

>Wizard and Glass
>Wolves of the Calla
>The Gunslinger
>The Drawing of the Three
>The Dark Tower
>The Waste Lands
>Song of Susannah

Haven't read the newest one yet.

>> No.3344681

I feel like Dark Tower is a quintessential example of King's strengths and flows as a writer - he is a good storyteller, but really bad at actually writing the story.

>> No.3344713

>>3344529

The cultural references killed it:
harry potter
dr doom
lightsabers
Oz

Clint Eastwood is OK, though.

The drawing of the three is the best of the bunch.

>> No.3344747

I began The Dark Tower series this summer. Now I’m reading Wolves of the Calla, I like it even though I know it’s just blablablablabla and 50 final pages of action, but I like it.
The first 3 books are clearly the best ones, and I like how they are “different” from each other:
Gunslinger: just Roland, the desert, datlonelinessfeel.jpg, Jake’s death…
Drawing: the doors in the beach, Eddie, the heroin, Roland loses his right hand
Wastelands: More “typical adventurous” but very good, Lud, Blaine, Return of Jake (I did not see that coming),mfw Susannah being raped by a demon
Wizard: this seemed a bit too long and maybe slow but it’s interesting to know Roland’s past, and I loved the fact that Susan died though it was obvious
And that’s it
Long days and pleasant nights

>> No.3345597

>>3344306
>Instead what he managed was to butcher the mystery and wonder of the world presented in the Gunslinger.

The Gunslinger and half of his corpus. On the one hand, I kinda enjoy the Grand Unified King Universe. On the other hand, all the tie-ins kinda diminish works that once stood firmly on their own.

Take IT, for example. The "It" in the story was pretty bad-ass, and we're kind left in awe of its scope and power. But after seeing the DT tie-ins, it's just another common (albeit powerful) demon.