[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 125 KB, 200x300, 200px-Eragon_book_cover[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3337878 No.3337878 [Reply] [Original]

Did I only like Eragon because I had never seen Star Wars and never read Lord of the Rings?

>> No.3337885
File: 53 KB, 271x271, 1354121915754.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

nope, you did because you have no discerning taste.

>> No.3337901

I thought it was a decent book for what it was meant to be. Something trashy and fun to read whilst you squeeze out your daily. Nothing special in it and almost everything seems to have been lifted from one work or another.

But, I think that sums up a lot of fantasy books I have read.

>> No.3337904

Eragon's alright as kid lit, it's the sequels which are appalling

>> No.3337907

Probably not, I first read Eragon back in the third grade. This was after I had read every Redwall series book available, and after I read The Hobbit and LotR trilogy, so I was no stranger to good fiction and fantasy.

However I enjoyed it because it was surprisingly violent and a simple read. However by the time the second book came out the series was tainted by the shitty Eragon movie. I began nitpicking the book after I started to see it cliches and predictable storyline.

>> No.3337924

>>3337907
Oh god, I remember seeing it on pay tv randomly and getting really excited. Biggest let down ever. Honestly, I cannot think of a worse movie adaption

>> No.3337936

>>3337907

I was recommended Eragon when I was in sixth grade while reading the Dark Tower series, and I had only read lotr/hobbit in terms of high fantasy.

I thought it was okay. Then I finished the dark tower and re-read it, and liked it. Then I learned the author was 15, and then I read the second book, in grade 7, and every line I thought "I totally could have written this."

I didn't like the way he took it and quite frankly I think I could have done a better job, it had a few decent scenes but nothing fantastic.

>> No.3337940

>>3337907
OP here

I kind of feel like someone who likes Nickleback or something whenever I talk about liking Eragon

Every year on my birthday my cousin would travel down from Alaska to visit and she'd take me shopping for books. I actually got one of the first edition books before Knopf published Eragon and I didn't even read it until about 5 or 6 months later because I already had a lot on my plate (me and my friends were REALLY into animorphs and we wrote a lot of fanfiction and stuff)

I gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed it.The second and third books were still pretty good to me. They didn't quite enrapture me the way the first one did but they continued the story and I had very little issue with them. The 4th one was the one that disappointed me. I mean, I still enjoyed it and it was a bittersweet end almost a decade later but as I start getting into more of the "classics" and after reading the TVtropes entry on the series I'm starting to see some substance to some of the complaints.

>> No.3337959

Eragon was originally going to be Dragon but he just hit the key above D.
Watch out for his next few original series of books, Iraken, Triffin and Jermaid.

>> No.3337964

>>3337959
and the fantasy/cyberpunk crossover novella Torgon.

>> No.3337980

>>3337940
>some substance

>Unlce Owen! Unlce Owen!

>> No.3338004

it's a cut and paste job of some generic fantasy, written by a teenager.
i was enthralled as a child.

>> No.3338026

I'm surprised no one made an LOTR comparison.

It's a carbon copy rip off at the beginning, so I just put it down. (I read it when I was 15.)

>> No.3338033

>>3338026
it's actually a rip from the 'balgariad' and the 'sword of truth'
both of which are rips from lotr

>> No.3338037

>>3338033

>Isenstar

>> No.3338397

Paolini just copy-pastes shamelessly from every franchise that ever made any money. Even as a teen I thought he was full of shit.

>> No.3338404

>>3338033
belgariad you nonce