[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 98 KB, 402x402, William-Shakespeare-194895-1-402.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3301463 No.3301463 [Reply] [Original]

If I was asked to objectively prove that Shakespeare's works aren't shit, how can I do it?

The keyword here is objectively. I intuitevly feel that his works are great, but would like to be able to pinpoint the objective qualities that actually make it great.

>> No.3301471

Objectivity? Fact?

Goodness me, how intimidating.

>> No.3301481

>>3301471
>>3301471

If it is subjective, then why is it considered a great piece of literature instead of leaving it to each person to decide for themselves?

Don't get me wrong, Shakespeare is great, and this isn't about Shakespeare himself, but about works of literature we consider great.

>> No.3301482

Grab a handful of your own poo, and grab a book of Shakespeare's complete works, drop them both on your friend's, and ask him to categorize.

You've objectively proven Shakespeare's works are not shit. Really, you still haven't, though, depending on how we mean objective.

In any case, quality is not objective, there's no way to prove that something is good objectively, because quality is inherently subjective. Read "Of the Standard of Taste" by Hume, see what you can glean from that.

>> No.3301487

>>3301463
are you in high school or something?

>> No.3301493

>>3301481
Also, that 'intuitive' quality? That's an effect of intersubjectivity.

>> No.3301560

He was trying to write for the plays common and uneducated folk of his time to enjoy while still making his plays sophisticated enough that the upper class would enjoy his works for their sophistry as well.
The fact that people are still able to enjoy his works today rather than be so bored as to try to count how many jokes he put into them should prove sufficiently that his works are at the least not complete shit.

>> No.3301579

>>3301463
>prove a negative

No.

>> No.3301626

>>3301463
There is no way to objectively prove it, it's entirely subjective. However, for determining "great" works of literature, the best way I've found is looking for works that have "stood the test of time," works that have remained relevant and are generally well liked. In those terms, Shakespeare's works are the greatest in the English language.