[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 600x413, wat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3294441 No.3294441 [Reply] [Original]

Nighty night, /lit/.

Who are your favorite poets?
Personally, I like poems that address social struggles, and use colloquial lexicon, but not the Gil-Scott Heron type. I like his oratory, as well as other Def Jam Poetry guys (recommend you Innocent Criminal by Pat Justice), but just don't find nothing to stand out the poem itself. Would appreciate 3rd world country poets.

Pic sort of related, it's Carlos Martínez Rivas.
>Nicaraguan. Highly recommend you nicaraguan poets.

>> No.3294485

Since I'm mostly a horrible pleb anglophone, and I refuse to read modern poetry in translation for the most part, I mostly like American poets.

Whitman has always tickled my fancy. Leaves of Grass is uneven but a generally brilliant and timeless collection. Some modern poets I have really enjoyed include Charles Wright, Galway Kinnell, Edward Hirsch.

And I hate to admit it, but I generally don't like it when poets go out of their way to challenge me, a la most of Eliot and Stevens. Which is why I don't read that much poetry I guess.

>> No.3294506

John Ashbery
he's a bit frustrating to read because he uses vague pronoun references, so you never really know what he's talking about. but his writing is so beautiful that you don't really need to 'understand it' to enjoy it.

Frank O'Hara
"The Day Lady Died" is one of my all-time favourite poems; the ending passage is beautiful.

William Carlos Williams
"Paterson" is a classic in the modernist poetic's canon.

most of the poets that published in the "LANGUAGE school" of poetry fascinate me. their use of language to frustrate the process of meaning-making and sense in their poems is always fun to read. their poems are about the words as they appear on the page.

>> No.3294562

>>3294485
I'm enjoying Whitman, so far. Going to read from the other ones later on, thanks.

>>3294506
Thanks on the suggestions.

If anyone is up to read some nicaraguan poetry recommend you:

Carlos Martínez Rivas:
Beso para la mujer de Lot, Canto fúnebre a la muerte de Joaquín Pasos, El pintor español, and El Paraíso Recobrado.

Joaquín Pasos:
El ángel pobre (short story), Canto de guerra de las cosas (one of the most beautiful poems i've read).

Pablo Antonio Cuadra:
El hijo de septiembre (one of my favorites), Escrito junto a una flor azul, Interioridades de dos estrellas que arden.

Alfonso Cortés (you should read his biography, it's pretty interesting. He had schizophrenia, but managed to write some beautiful poems):
Un detalle, La danza de los astros

There are others like Beltrán Morales, Ernesto Cardenal, Rubén Darío (probably the most famous nicaraguan, I recommend you 'Lo fatal'), Manolo Cuadra, etc., but the ones I wrote you may find some of their material online.

>> No.3294571

>>3294562

Since you seem to know a lot about Spanish poetry I wonder if you can identify a poem I read once.
It was short, two stanzas about four lines each, and the first part is about a man running at night from something that is always chasing him.
The second part is about the melancholy his shadow feels because it always chases him but will never reach him.

>> No.3294576
File: 24 KB, 400x397, fwm-oharaginsbergtalking.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3294441

John Berryman
Allen Ginsberg
Frank O'Hara

>> No.3294581
File: 11 KB, 220x276, hopskipnajump.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hopkins is a personal favorite of mine. Shakespeare and Eliot are pretty obvious. Poe, Melville, and Berryman are big in my book too.

>> No.3294585

Were there any good psychedelic/hippie type poets, minus Ginsberg?

>> No.3294586

>>3294585
Also I really like T.S Eliot, mostly for The Waste Land.

>> No.3294609

a friend of mine argues that Pushkin is objectively the best poet of all time and that anyone who disagrees doesn't speak Russian or is illiterate. I'm not into poetry that much but, there's that.

>> No.3294622

For those of you Ginsberg fans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKBAJYceQ54

The full thing is on Amazon for like a dollar, free if you've got prime. I don't like him much, but there is an underlying viciousness in Buckley's having him there. I'll leave it for you to figure it out.

>> No.3294634

>>3294622
So fantastic, I've seen that vid many times over the years.

>> No.3294634,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>3294571
Problably "Yo no soy yo" by Juan Ramon Jimenez.