[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 512x288, Tigris Avatar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3267217 No.3267217 [Reply] [Original]

I've been on /lit/ for about a year now and I've come to this conclusion.

99.9% of the time this place is:

>Hostile
>Contradictory
>Angst-ridden
>Immature
>Incoherent
>Elitist
>Pretentious
>Uncaring
>Cold

And 1% of the time people actually help you with book recommendations. Are there any nice people on this fucking forum?

>> No.3267218

i'm nice
what do you need help with

>> No.3267220

>>3267217
>Are there any nice people on this fucking forum?

Yes. Nice to meet you, OP. How was your day? Are you feeling OK?

>> No.3267223

I tried for a while. Then I gave up.
I'll still help, if I can, but it usually ends with me being insulted.

>> No.3267224

Blow it out your ass, whiny faggot. Reported for meta discussion.

>> No.3267230

>>3267217
Those are valid criticisms, but I'm sure different people here have different ratios of those traits you mention. A lot of good discussion happens here, too, and you just need to be good at filtering out the crap.

I personally don't find the book recommendations the most valuable part of this board, though--discussion is much more interesting and rewarding when it gets going.

And yeah--are you looking for specific help with something?

>> No.3267231

I know what you mean however you've got to take anything that happens in this harsh environment with a grain of salt.

There are extremely helpful people on this board, so if there is something you need to know and if you are sincere about it people will be at hand.

>> No.3267237

Sometimes I goodpost, sometimes I shitpost. Depends on what I'm responding to and how I feel at that particular moment.

>> No.3267244

People aren't nice. Read some philosophy. Stop expecting everyone to be compassionate, understanding and tolerant. Why should we be nice to you? You're just an asshole with an opinion.

This is what people are like. That nice girl at your supermarket actually thinks you're a fat fuck with a weird way of speaking. She bets you don't read and she's right.

Get over it. Live in Nebraska and pretend there's a God in all of us that loves.

>> No.3267245

>>3267231
You're also going to find that a lot of nice, helpful people will adopt the harsh tone that is common here. It's part of the fun.

>> No.3267247

I don't post, except for this time to tell everyone that I don't post.

I'm watching you all.

>> No.3267252

>>3267245

+1

/lit confirmed for best board on the net

>> No.3267256

>>3267244
Actually I know this. I was a misanthrope for years, but then I sort of grew up and decided to be an adult. I know what it's like. I guess I'm just buttmad because I've tried to have decent conversations with people on this board for a while now and they're always usually cocky asshats who don't back up their claims.

>> No.3267259

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, THIS IS A GOOD DAY TO GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE AND GET SOME BITCHES AND GET DRUNK OR PERHAPS STAY AT HOME AND READ A THOUSAND BOOKS OR MAYBE PLAY SOME CHESS WITH YOUR DAD OR EVEN MARATHON SOME GOOD OLD FILMS YOU'VE BEEN WILLING TO WATCH SINCE FOREVER OR MAYBE YOU COULD ARRANGE TO TRAVEL SOME PLACE NICE TO SPEND CHRISTMAS OR GO BUY SOME GIFTS FOR FRIENDS THAT ARE NOT EXPECTING ANY FROM YOU OR STILL PLAY IN THE SNOW WITH THE KIDS OR GO FOR A SWIM UNDER THE SUN IF YOU ARE IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE OR PERHAPS YOU'LL PARTY AND LAUGH AT THE END OF THE MAYAN CALENDAR OR READ A TRILLION WIKIPEDIA ARTICLES ON NOTHING IN PARTICULAR OR TAKE A SMALL PIECE OF CANVAS AND MAKE A NICE PAINTING OR PERHAPS LISTEN TO SOME GOOD OLD MUSIC YOU REALLY LOVE OR 420 BLAZE IT AND LAUGH HARD WITH YOUR PALS OR JUST SIT TIGHT IN AN ARMCHAIR AND KEEP THINKIN BOUT STUFF OR WRITE A BEAUTIFUL POEM ABOUT THE WAR AND LOVE AND WHATEVER SHIT YOU WANT OR FINISH THAT NOVEL OR EXERCISE AND GET PUMPED AND FIT... SO MANY OPTIONS, WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO?

OH, I KNOW.

I KNOW I KNOW, I GOT IT!

I'LL COMPLAIN ON /lit/, SPEND MY SHORT TIME HERE ON EARTH HERE, IN A PLACE THAT I MYSELF ASSURED THAT IS MADE OF 99.9% OF HOSTILE CONTRADICTORY ANGST-RIDDEN IMMATURE INCOHERENT ELITIST PRETENTIOUS UNCARING COLD BASTARDS! YEAH, THAT'S SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA!

YELL, PLEASE. YELL AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS:

"I LOVE MY LIFE! THIS IS WHAT I ASKED THE GODS FOR! I WOULDN'T TRADE THIS FOR ANYTHING!"

>> No.3267258

>>3267256
in their defense, it's a lot more fun to be a cocky asshat who doesn't back up his claims and there are virtually no consequences

>> No.3267262
File: 70 KB, 248x252, 1346790769706.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3267259

>> No.3267267

>>3267217
Why should it be any different?

>> No.3267271

>>3267259
>implying 4chan is not funner than all of those things

>2013
>still denying "funner" is a word

>> No.3267596
File: 144 KB, 303x519, Ok.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3267259

>> No.3267629

I'm generally only mean when people are mean to me or if they're really stupid which kind of goes along with being mean to me a lot of the time.

I'll admit I tease newfriends sometimes though.

>> No.3267646

>>3267217
Yeah, most people here are incipient peddlers of literary theories and petty philosophes, but it isnt all chaff, I assure you.

I'd like to offer a review of what this board actually is:
>Contradictory
>Pretentious
>Angst-y
>Immature
>Post-modern
>Sycophantic
>Close-minded

It is a horrid forum and, with no hesitation, I can honestly say that the intellectual debate is superior on /b/, and even the vilified /mu/.

>> No.3267654

I don't disagree. I mostly only come here in the hope people might make some kind of astute points. I really don't care if people are mean when they do that or if they aren't.

I really don't know why people would shitpost though but I admit I am not them. Maybe it's fun.

>> No.3267704

>Hostile
unmoderated intellectual discourse always is

>Contradictory
no shit

>Angst-ridden
>Immature
take a look at the 4chan demographics

>Incoherent
blame the french

>Elitist
>Pretentious
there's tumblr if you want all inclusiveness and pandering

>Uncaring
>Cold
>:(

>> No.3267726

>>3267259

see you same time tomorrow then?

>> No.3267738

>>3267217
Fuck you underage fagtart. Go die in a hole you pleb.

>> No.3267744

When you have a group of people clawing for the intellectual high-ground in response to their anonymity, things tend to get hostile.

I like to consider myself to be nice and I'd love it if the rest of /lit/ learned that it's possible to disagree peacefully.

>> No.3267754

>>3267217
Hmm. I often find a lot of humor in even the nastiest replies and vitriol. This forum makes me laugh more than any others. There are a lot of curmudgeons but they at least put in the effort to write decently and there are big pockets of very sardonic, witty posters. Been here 2 days.

>> No.3267755

My experience so far is that /lit/ is considerably better than many of the boards on 4chan.

Sure, it's not as fluffy as some of the smaller interest boards, but at least it's not filled with wall-to-wall racism and misogyny to quite the same extent as /r9k/, /int/, /pol/ (god forbid). And it's probably less elitist than /mu/ or /fa/. Put it this way, /lit/ is where I come when the other boards make me feel like I'm about to pop a vein.

>> No.3267762
File: 10 KB, 170x217, 170px-Julia_Gillard_2010.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

capsguy confirmed as a philosopher PMess

>> No.3267769

If people followed the sticky and only asked for help after having read/seen a tl;dr of most of that, we'd still be the same bunch of elitist cunts, but the threads themselves would be even more pretentious, because every anon (who's not badly trolling) wouldn't talk out of his arse all of the time but had some backup.

less plebs less traffic huehue

>> No.3267780

>>3267755
It's just because it is that much slower. There are threads who combine the worst of /pol/ and /fa/ discussion wise, it's just easy to ignore because you don't see them for days if you don't post in them.

>> No.3267788

>>3267217
I completely disagree, /lit/ is actually one of the nicest boards. Sure, collectively we are sometimes elitist and we don't help with homework, but more often than not we have intelligent discussions compared to other boards.

>> No.3267829
File: 36 KB, 396x385, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw tripfags actually made this board better.
>tfw you realise that you only recognise the value of thigs after they're gone.

>> No.3267834

>>3267829
yeah..no

>> No.3267844

>>3267217
I've seen you on /lit/ for about a year now and I've come to this conclusion.

99.9% of the time you post:
>Poorly written poetry
>Poorly written prose
>Poorly written fanfiction
>I don't like philosophy
>Ayn Rand threads
>Are video games/comics/chinese cartoons literature? threads
>Why no Harry Potter/GRRM/Twilight? You're all elitists threads
>Homework threads
>The shittiest meta threads
>Authorial intent is stupid, here is my uneducated opinion on why threads

And the 1% of the time you actually try to post something decent it's because you think you're posting on /fit/

>> No.3267853

>>3267844
9/10

Forgot the angsty philosophy threads, the immature NIETZSCHE IS THE BEST thread, and the >>>/pol/ threads.

>> No.3267857
File: 355 KB, 1200x900, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3267834
Two years ago most threads were almost exclusively about philosophical works, DFW, Joyce and the likes. Threads that were created by tripfags such as BB and Deep. Granted, they mainly created threads so they could boost their egos and e-personas but the end result was always interesting discussions and debates, without any actuall tripfag involvement. That's my opinion, anyway.

>> No.3267862

>Contradictory
/lit/ isn't one person.

>> No.3267867

>>3267844
This guy is also right.

>> No.3267868

>>3267829

Good tier: hakas, married oldfag, D&E

Quentin tier: Quentin

Meh tier: everyone else

Shit tier: JeffMangum, butterfly

>> No.3267874

>>3267868
hey hakas

>> No.3267875

>>3267857
D&E was good because he tended to have some grasp of what he was talking about. He could be a shit if you mentioned anything outside of the scope of his knowledge though.

>> No.3267894

>>3267875
>D&E
>good

He was ok until /v/ started trolling this board like there was no tomorrow in response to his shitpoating over there.

>> No.3267937

Threads in /lit/ seem to devolve into bullshit much faster than other board. If I'm posting I always try to give legit recommendations or critique or whatever else, though.

I will also say that unlike other hobby boards, /lit/ actually makes me want to go do what it was made for.

>> No.3267992

>>3267868
>Shit tier: JeffMangum, butterfly

You forgot onion - that cunt was the worst tripfag of all time, any board.

>> No.3268061

>>3267217
Get over yourself, OP. If you want to be coddled, go visit your mum.

>> No.3268190

>>3267217
You realize that you self would go under some of the points by shitting on 99% people in this board?

Though youre right on most.