[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 400x326, smoke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3251495 No.3251495 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/

I have some story ideas I want to explore, but I'm concerned they wont be well received.

I'd like to write some historical fiction set during early Cold War through Vietnam. The problem is, I'm only 23. Is it appropriate for me to write about this time period? Do you think that such fiction, no matter how well researched, will be regarded as insulting and ignorant?

Any tips on how to avoid that perception?

Cheers

>> No.3251502

>Any tips on how to avoid that perception?

don't release it under your name. whoopty doo.

>Is it appropriate for me to write about this time period?

the question is meaningless.

plenty of young historians deal with eras and countries not their own, no one raises up any questions about "appropiateness". stop being a procrastinating bitch and write it.

>> No.3251508

>>3251502

:V

Okay.

>> No.3251528

>Is it appropriate for me to write about this time period?
It's neither appropriate or inappropriate. Being 23 doesn't make you unqualified for it. Knowing your shit makes you qualified.
>Any tips on how to avoid that perception?
Pseudonym. If you ever do this book, however, I would recommend using your real name and everything. It makes you different, notable. Instead of hiding as some old prick writing about WW2, you're the young man who writes in a field dominated by older men.

>> No.3251558

Don't worry about that. Erase that from your head

Write what you have to write, edit, revise, polish it up. Write THE END, save file. Send to editors and if and only if they say "this is interesting", you might start worrying on how people will take it.

You are putting the carriage in front of the horses and that is affecting your writing. The problem you think you are facing, well, you are not facing.

You have "story ideas you want to explore". So explore them. You think about that later, you have enough trouble exploring that and doing the writing itself.

Like saying "I want to explore this forest, what if someone doesn't believe I found this new species?".