[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 308 KB, 554x603, 1354516284678.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3222583 No.3222583 [Reply] [Original]

Hello, I'm going to guess this is /lit/ related but my college is holding tryouts for a Midsummer's Night Dream and I want to try out for the role of Theseus. I've read it twice but I'm not sure how to act as Theseus. Could you guys give me some tips on how I could read it better and act his parts?

>> No.3222589

This is definitely a question you need to aim to actors and not /lit/

Repeat your lines until you get a sense for yourself, it is never going to come from anywhere else. It is much more about feeling at ease adopting a new attitude than any 'reading'

>> No.3222618

I'd watch clips of different performances, but also read through his lines a few times to get a sense of the sort of person he is.

Of course, acting is all about playing a role, so you're free to interpret as you please also. Just have fun with it.

>> No.3222624

old dialog coach advice:

figure out what the line means

"wherefore art thou romeo?"= why did you have to be named romeo? that is, why are you in the family of my enemy?

say that phrase they way you would normally.

transfer the emphases to the original line

theseus is a minor role: overact it, but don't make it a caricature. You're supposed to be amused by him when he's onstage and forget him immediately after.

>> No.3222638

What is the appeal of acting

>> No.3222644

>>3222589
actually you could do worse if you want to learn to write than study midsummer night. It's an amazing example of how to use dialog to describe and to move the plot along with subtle and unobtrusive exposition

>> No.3222687
File: 59 KB, 500x631, 1349724726537.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1. libgen.info or similar
2. find bloom's Shakespeare: Invention of the Human
3. read chapter on midsummer's night

congrats, you're now reading it better dot jay peg

>> No.3222759
File: 7 KB, 269x321, gchapman3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3222583

acting is easy op. first you gotta memorize the lines. but memorizing them isn't enough. you HAVE to make sure you keep them in the right order. once you've got that taken care of then you can add different emphasis to different words. for example, "to BE or not to be" is different from "TO be or not to BE". play around with this until you've found the right combo. lastly you've gotta make sure you make the right face when you're saying your lines. this is pretty easy because when you have a sad line for instance, all you have to do is make a sad face. boom. it's that simple. if you follow these instructions i'm sure you'll get the part.