[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 944 KB, 558x951, Celine-558x951.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3219562 No.3219562 [Reply] [Original]

"journey to the end of the night" - what do you think about it?
personally, i liked i t very much. i just think we got similiar way of seeing things like they are. opinions?

>> No.3219612

It's saddening to see no replies to this and I'm really interested in this book for no apparent reason and would like to see a discussion about it but haven't read it and therefore can't contribute so I'll at least bump.

>> No.3219631

sorry, too busy reading informative science books that will change my life by teaching me how the world works and my place in it

>> No.3219660

It's a french classic, really interesting book, well written.

I've seen some interview and shows where Céline (Louis-Ferdinand Destouches) was invited, right after the book was published and apparently he got in a lot of troubles after this publication. To me the reasons are still blurry, but I think it has to do with his position during WWII.

A lot of people said he was a "collabo" (helping the occupying nazis and so on), a real scumbag. The reality is that he tried to ease the tension. France was at war, but as he says in the book, he doesn't hate the soldier in front of him. Plus the occupying nazis were more helpful and civilized than the "french" "communists" (the only alternative back then).

Sorry for the bad grammar, I just woke up.

Anyway, before "voyage au bout de la nuit" he wrote a couple of books that are now forbidden, because of their anti jewish position ("Bagatelle pour un massacre", "mort à crédit", "l'école des cadavres", I think...) you can find them around on pdf.

>> No.3219665

I started it but never finished it. Been doing that too much lately. That's not to say it's bad. On the contrary. The main character reminds me of like a french Holden Caulfield--less of an edgy, entitled faggot

>> No.3219704

>>3219612
This is /lit/, /lit/ is slow.
Not only that, this is /lit/ at night, there are about 4 people here now.

>> No.3219732

>>3219704
>its night
are you retarded son? Murka isn't center of the world you pretencious shit
>>3219660
thanks for that post and titles, ill check that

“If you aren't rich you should always look useful.” - seriously i like this guy. from unknown reasons, make me want to start learning french

>> No.3219740

>>3219660
>The reality is that he tried to ease the tension.

That's a bit like an evil sidekick 'easing the tension' while the sidekick's evil mastermind boss is raping you in the ass with a cactus.

>> No.3219749

>>3219732
>hurr durr he said something I don't like, he must be Murrikan
I'm in London, it's dark outside, it's night.
/lit/ is typically dead for a few hours around this time of day.

>> No.3219760

>>3219749
alright then, i was no gentleman-sorry. its completly bright in central europe
>>3219740
you know i dont want to sound naive or protect his statement about collaborating with occupant, but point of view is changing with the point where you sit (it polish maxim, but i hope you get what i mean). for him, this war would be most probably end with Hitler as a winner so he wanted to deal with it best way he could (probably). also a lot of people was siding with nazis just because they wanted to fight communism

>> No.3219790

>>3219760
After the liberation of Paris, when the Vichy government established a seat in Sigmaringen, Céline went to it. So it wasn't about easing the tension.

>> No.3219816

>>3219562
kujtvonnegut richarddixon fuckmefuckmefuckmefuck'a'me'mammamia

>> No.3219842
File: 464 KB, 1200x983, 1353682207007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3219816
this is how you make me feel

>> No.3219854

>>3219842
eye throubrained a giant eskimo stroking his hardness in the sex-hoove of an angled die-NO!-sour asshole itwasasint'wass an equestrian
butwhowasphone

>> No.3219857

This book makes you feel dirty and greasy.
That's why it's so well written ; everyone is disgusting, people stink and the author describes smells precisely. People he meets are caricatures : everyone is bad, selfish, stubborn, stupid. I beleive Céline wanted to enter France's asshole to show how ugly it can be, as he heartly hated france and french people.
At the end of the day, I think Céline is someone's who's mistaking his anger.

>> No.3219858

>>3219857

I'm french btw

>> No.3220671

>>3219857
Definitely, it kinda reminds me of "seul contre tous" ("I stand alone") by Gaspar Noé, it really shows the dirty, grimy, slizzy france

>>3219760
What I meant by siding the nazis is there was no real choice, resistance was a good thing when done correctly (read "ainsi finissent les salauds" if you wanna know how awful communists "french" resistants really were toward other french); but some people, like me, feel like wars are waged by old scumbags, so wether it's a german or a french one who rule the country isn't important. I really like the part were he discusses with lola :
>« - Oh ! Vous êtes donc tout à fait lâche, Ferdinand ! Vous êtes répugnant comme un rat…
- Oui, tout à fait lâche, Lola, je refuse la guerre et tout ce qu’il y a dedans… Je ne la déplore pas moi… Je ne me résigne pas moi… Je ne pleurniche pas dessus moi… Je la refuse tout net, avec tous les hommes qu’elle contient, je ne veux rien avoir à faire avec eux, avec elle. Seraient-ils neuf cent quatre-vingt-quinze millions et moi tout seul, c’est eux qui ont tort, Lola, et c’est moi qui ai raison, parce que je suis le seul à savoir ce que je veux : je ne veux plus mourir. »

>> No.3220683

>>3220671
Oh, Ferdinand! Then you're an absolute coward! You're as loathsome as a rat..."
"Yes, an absolute coward, Lola, I reject the war and everything in it... I don't deplore it... I don't resign myself to it... I don't weep about it... I just plain reject it and all its fighting men. I don't want anything to do with them or it. Even if there were nine hundred and ninety-five million of them and I were all alone, they'd still be wrong and I'd be right. Because I'm the one who knows what I want: I don't want to die."

>> No.3220716

>>3220683
what i like about celine is his 'doesn't afraid of anything' approach to being a coward who is afraid of everything.

>> No.3220784

>>3219660
>that are now forbidden, because of their anti jewish position
what? forbidden? as in banned?
Both novels are not forbidden (I haven't read "bagatelle" but you can buy "mort a credit" easily enough).
The pamphlet, though, "l'école des cadavres", was recently re edited.

I find Pierre Drieu La Rochelle's case a little more sad than Celine's.

>tfw when you will never see a modern edition of Le Feu Follet.

>> No.3220828

>>3220784
Well, haven't found the book and I heard it was banned (I think Eric Naulleau said it)