[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 180x240, david_foster_wallace.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3189867 No.3189867 [Reply] [Original]

Generation X authors are the literally the worst fucken authors ever.

>> No.3189906

I don't know.

Gen Y seems to be shaping up a lot worse.
Just look at 80% of the guys featured on pop serial.

Also DFW is pretty good. Deal with it, Rock 'n' Roll/

>> No.3189908

>literally

>> No.3189988
File: 22 KB, 394x312, dgx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

D-GENERATION X

>> No.3190006
File: 9 KB, 191x264, laughing_elf_man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Also DFW is pretty good. Deal with it, Rock 'n' Roll

Using DFW and BEE in same sentance.

I know your tricks donny

>> No.3190031

>are the literally the worst

>> No.3190038

>>3189906
>Gen Y seems to be shaping up a lot worse.
hard to say as many Gen Y people aren't even old enough to have truly contributed.

In fact, if we think about the ages some authors produced their greatest works (Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Steinbeck, to name a few), there's still a possibility that a great work comes out of Gen X

>> No.3190455

why does he always wear that huge bandanna? did something happen to his forehead or does he just want to look pretentious?

>> No.3191586

>>3190455
He used to sweat like a pig during readings.

Also, used to drip it on cold water and thus medicate his migraines.

>> No.3191596

>>3190455
Fuck you, kid, show some respect. DFW had to train with Mr. Miyagi for five years, climbing up mountains for bonsai trees and doing chores, before he was allowed to wear the bandanna. He even managed to catch a fly with a pair of chopsticks.

>> No.3191622

>>3190455

He wears them because he is self-conscious and insecure of appearing sweaty, just like his writing.

>> No.3191625

>>3190455
He was severely balding and embarrassed about it because his fans in the audience stopped having after-reading sex with him because he wasn't their age (15-17 years old)

>> No.3191627

>>3190455
I remember once he said he wore it because he was sweaty, and then because people started to ask him why he wasn't wearing it when it didn't, and also because it helped him feel like his head was all in one piece/not falling apart in front of everyone with spaghetti spilling all over the floor, etc.

>> No.3191631

The Infamous Bandana:
It's because he was a motor cycle hero.

>> No.3191633
File: 25 KB, 460x276, Young DFW.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3191596

>> No.3191636

Was he balding? That's what washed up rockers wear them for.

>> No.3191648

>>3191586
Sweating is a side effect of many antidepressants if I understand correctly.

>> No.3191652

>>3191648

Sweating is a side effect of being pretentious.

>> No.3191657

>>3191652
He didn't seem to take taking seriously too serious, that is, he wasn't really pretentious except in some ironic backflip and sneak-in-the-backdoor subtle sense that basically disqualifies itself form being pretentious by being too afraid of openly asserting its claims on greatness. As it is, he courted literary greatness like a child - as if his devastating good looks and boyish American charm were enough.

>> No.3191658
File: 99 KB, 600x399, post.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3191633

>> No.3191662
File: 62 KB, 620x343, brett easton ellis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You better not pick up that radio.

>> No.3191686

>>3189906
TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON TAO LON

>> No.3191713
File: 17 KB, 473x333, dead2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3191738
File: 54 KB, 849x605, 1351383018230.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wonder what the major themes of the authors of Generation Y will be. Any guesses?

They can't pull another "Lost Generation no future no absolutes" anxiety shit.

>> No.3191768

>>3191657
yes

>> No.3191844

>>3191738
Our generation is better than the others because unlike them, we have no obvious objective justification for our suffering, and so consequently we are not understood and we suffer without sympathy or pity.

>> No.3191864

>>3191844
In other words, we suffer more naively than the most immediately prior generations, for we suffer simply from life itself. "Suffer" being equivalent with "living it up" and "having a deep experience" or something of the sort.

Scardinelli, 1765.

>> No.3192088 [DELETED] 

>>3191738
don't ask me i don't give a damn
i'm off to vietnam

>> No.3192093

>>3191738
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam.

>> No.3192099

>>3191844
>no objective justification for our suffering
>the recession, 9/11, iraq/afghanistan war, college unaffordable, no good jobs without it
we have it worse than anyone since the depression generation.

>> No.3192110

>>3192099
i agree, monsieur. the depression generation, ah so sad. the privations of the american and european burghers is for me, and i see for you too, the epitome of worldly woe. have you read, say, nathanael west, or perhaps, say, steinbeck, monsieur? horrible, horrible time.

>> No.3192132

>>3192099
>>no objective justification for our suffering

>people being morons on the internet
>people on the internet telling us about their non-internet-using local morons
>news telling everyone about old dumb people worldwide mismanaging everything.

Those people on the landing craft at D days suffered less than a decent person does today, and yet we call them heroes.

>> No.3192138

>>3189867

that's a bit general and unfair to say, isn't it?

>> No.3192140

>>3192132
it's absurd, the world. ah, i can't stand it. do you know how i put up with it --- god know's why. i post on this board. it helps to soothe my brain and let's all the bad information seep out here, like a great ebb tide.

>> No.3192142
File: 49 KB, 400x595, comfy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3192099
>tfw unemployed
>shop for affordable prices while having a good cup of coffee freely dispensed by the supermarket, go to the immigrant store for some olives, maybe get a large bag of dried beans at the open air market
>come home to a comfortable cosy little apartment with some nice scavenged furniture since our society is so rich and saturated with goods you can easily acquire a lot you need for little or no money
>turn on my second hand computer, acquired cheaply since someone disliked it for "not playing the latest gaemz" or "not being a mac", listen to great free music on the internet
>have a hot shower, then cook a nice meal from fresh ingredients humming along with Curtis Mayfield and have a can of beer or two
>watch an episode of a nice series I downloaded
>talk to people from all corners of the world about subjects I care about online
>arrange to have some drinks with friends with my €20 mobile communications device
>have a good time with them
>come home, take my magical booking device, choose one of the 58000 books I have to read in a bit before I go to sleep in my centrally heated house

I don't know man, we might live in the best of times.

>> No.3192146

"You are all a lost generation."

>> No.3192147

>>3192142
you are content, monsieur? that's horrible! you should be miserable. look around you. the world. the world. ah, you are stupid! just listen to yourself. and what do i care if you're an idiot anyway? i am perfectly content being miserable without you.

>> No.3192154
File: 42 KB, 400x267, cat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3192147
It's a nice day out, let's get some beers and go to the park and watch the ladies walk by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgozdtsh_g

>> No.3192156

>>3192142
>nothing to fight or live for
>not even a delusional justification for my existence
>good

>> No.3192163
File: 49 KB, 400x624, diogenes7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3192156
>needing external goals, values and concepts to live for
>needing delusion
>being unable to stretch out in the sun and enjoy it like a glorious lion, but rushing about for something that's told to be more important than you like a good little ant

>> No.3192165

>>3192163
are you stretched out in the sun and enjoying it like a glorious lion right now, monsieur?

>> No.3192166

>>3192156
how is this unique to our generation? other generations didn't do anything more important than us?

>> No.3192180

>>3192165
No, it's pretty cold outside. I just had a nice meal and now pleasantly slouching and drinking a pint with my feet against the radiator listening to blue eyed soul. Just as well.

>> No.3192184

>>3192180
tell me more, monsieur. have you done toilet lately?

>> No.3192188

>>3192180
is that how a glorious lion lives, like a petty burgher?

>> No.3192190

>>3192184
I took a shit this morning whilst reading Tao Lin.

>> No.3192191

>>3192188
>>3192188

That's how it would live if it were where I am. It's fucking taters outside. It would probably roar a lot and make stool on the floor as well though.

>> No.3192198

>>3192188
That would imply working and worrying. The burghers take care of me.

>Cleomenes in his work entitled Concerning Pedagogues says that the friends of Diogenes wanted to ransom him, whereupon he called them simpletons; for, said he, lions are not the slaves of those who feed them, but rather those who feed them are at the mercy of the lions: for fear is the mark of the slave, whereas wild beasts make men afraid of them.

>> No.3192200

>>3192191
or perhaps not, monsieur? perhaps not?

>> No.3192201

>>3191844

what is this suffering? this i don't get.

This thing has bothered me a while now, and maybe you can help.
I have this nephew, a good kid, i think. tall, like a basketball player. He get's in trouble and gets fired from his job; drunk and missing work.

His father calls me, says: "He's depressed, he can stay with you maybe? take it easy for awhile? He's off drinking and don't have any bad habits. We'll send him some money."

I think: Okay, I was depressed for awhile, I know how it is. The kid will need a place to hide out, things to amuse him, interesting places to walk. I put him in a little apartment in the back of this building I own on Park, it's where I live, but in the back. They move him in, his X-boxes and whatnot, his game things and television, i get him a cable box, fill up the fridge, give him internet password, whtever. leave him alone. He's up ten steps from park and a lovely walk out to the third street gate, under the dogwoods. It's a nice neighborhood, college girls walking by below his window. Seems like it might help bring him out.

>> No.3192203

>>3192190
Then wiped your ass with it when you were done yeah?

>> No.3192205

>>3192201

What does he do though? He watches movies, all alone, and plays games on his computer and X-boxes. He is up all hours drinking his red bull and starbucks in the bottles. He yells on the phone at his friends.

This is depression? I was depressed, two years. Couldn't turn on the TV, couldn't read, had to make myself go to bed, eat, take a bath. I exercised for four hours a day cause that was all that would make me feel anything. They put me on Doxepins and i don't know what. Finally I come out of it, I can read, I can sleep, I can do things besides working and exercising.
What he does is nothing like that. He is busy all the time when he's not asleep.
So I take him out to dinner, i take him shopping, and to the movies. He sulks, he sits quiet. He asks me for money to go shopping and he buys games and black pants. He wears black all the time.
Six months now, I ask you. He sends my sister-in-law long letters about he's suffering, he wants rto kill himself, he sees no hope, but he plays all the time. What is he playinng for if it doesn't make him happy? He has no friends, why is he on the internet talking all the time? Who is he talking to?

I don't know, so i ask: what is this suffering he's talking about? Is he just lazy? What?

>> No.3192206

>>3192203
Wouldn't want to ruin my e-reader.

>> No.3192212

>>3192201
The suffering is existential in a lot of cases. Doesn't mean it can't be helped though. One just needs to unlearn the habit of grasping for thin air.

>> No.3192218

>>3192205
it sounds, monsieur, like your nephew is perhaps the emblem of the suffering of today's youth. you should think of him whenever suffering and youth are mentioned side by side, and with a wink at the graveyard, scoff!!! scoff!!! scoff!!

>> No.3192219
File: 28 KB, 509x354, 1343655249055.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3192205

>> No.3192226

>>3192219
>Consequences will never be the same.

>> No.3192264

>>3192212

Hey I know existential crisis stuff, but how can you have an existential crisis when you're up all hours, playing and laughing? How can you be suffering and suicidal when you eat all you want and play all the time and no work? He is not sitting around looking at the stars, or walking alone all night, and sitting in a dark room.

I want to think it's a pose. That he's a lazy spoiled kid who wants to sponge off his uncle and is too scared to go out and get a job or girlfriend and is too lazy to go to college.

But this is maybe unfair. I don't think there's a deep philosophy n any of this. he only has the basic books and things like you read in high school or first years of college, like Camus and Kafka and Sartre. nothing complex or deep. And his music and posters are from games and bands that are trying to look shocking. Most of his books are about games and Star Wars and things.

I want to think he's a poser, you know, a fake. and just mooching, but who knows? Is that the kind of life anybody would really want? He's twenty five years old.

>> No.3192379

>>3192264
Well, he may be an asshole after all, I wouldn't know. I don't do shit with my life either, but it's a concious choice and I'm enjoying it and am sincerely convinced it's the best kind of life, for me at least. I guess the worst thing about him for you is that he's an ungrateful little shit who doesn't even smile when he's drinking your hooch.

People tend to tolerate moochers more when they offer something in return, even if it's just being good and entertaining company and somehow representing the careless life in a way that benefits those around them. Being a sort of curator of the leisurely life in busy times.

I'd guess that you would have a lot less problems with him if he didn't play vidya all day and instead raked the garden and drank wine with you and cooked a meal once in a while and wrote short stories. I think there is or should always be a place for the useless bums. They just shouldn't forget who they are.

>> No.3192457

"Being a sort of curator of the leisurely life in busy times."

I like this.

No he wants to be seen this way, like he's sad all the time. I think that's why i said poser. And I got plenty of good for nothing nephews that are joys to be around. We go shoot guns up at my place in the woods and camp out and they bring girls and we have a good time. They are always texting and reading and playing games too, and they are all but one drop outs from college. That I don't mind since I dropped out myself and had a lot of fun loafing around Italy and France before I settled down. It's reassuring to me though that there seems to be more of this around, so maybe it's nothing, like a fad, and he will be okay.

>> No.3192475

>>3192457
Are you expecting them all to settle down naturally? I've always found it strange that people regard my life's work as a phase.

>> No.3192494

>>3192475

You get old, you want different things. Or Your wife does, which is the same. And it's not so bad to let other people do the energetic stuff. I got plenty of time to sit around the cafe in the park and drink coffee with too much milk if I want to. And I get to read books on my ipad and talk with you, who are pretty nuts, but mostly okay.

>> No.3192524

>>3192494
Some are creatures of leisure by nature though.

I'm curious though, how old are you and what do you get out if /lit/? Are you a working man?

>> No.3192557

>>3192457
monsieur, you seem like a good guy, and i hold that against you, and frankly i think you should be more careful. no one wants to hear your good natured and carefully reasoned views here. it would be advisable to cultivate a certain wicked attitude towards your nephew, such as paedophile. that would be palatable. you must always please. you are always pleasing someone or something. you can't deny it. your present attitudes were forged in the mould of pleasing a certain ideal forged under present social conditions to serve it whether directly or withershins. of course, monsieur, i expect no less than pungent disagreement, but the heart thinks and feels otherwise, and my words stab at your softer places, where i know you are a woman who is good for a lay.

>> No.3192572

"As the world’s population begins to swell amazingly, it is a chance to make us all feel that we are in the same world and going through the same thing, what has been called `the global village.' Whereas I feel that what the screen does is say to you, `This is reality if you want to believe it, but it’s a trick.' And in fact what it’s doing, in so profound a way that nobody needs to understand this, is giving you a screen on which you can tell yourself that you are dealing with and seeing reality whereas in fact what it teaches you is that you don’t have to bother. That the old connections of sympathy, anger, questioning, doubt, political involvement and action that through the nineteenth-century and the early twentieth-century we more or less believed in — it’s a myth.

You actually now live in a world where most intelligent young people are confident that it’s going to end, and are assured of the futility of any of the kinds of action or response that would have come from sympathy and anger and protest. So that if you look at, say, Fukushima on the screen, the essential reaction is, 'Oh, that’s extraordinary, it’s not me this time, but it will be.' We have issues and we have problems of enormous scale. We know that we’re dancing on the brink and we have the most useless, futile political system we have ever had. I’m talking about this country [the U.S.] but there are many other countries too where everyone actually says, `Well, yes, I’m the president, I’ve got the job, but we can’t do anything about it, we know that.' And it’s just a question of time, just a question of waiting for it.

So in many respects, what has come from this immersion in images, is to teach us that we need have nothing to do with reality; it’s pointless."

>> No.3192573

>>3192524

Not as much now. I was in construction and now I'm a codes inspector. I have read a lot all my life and I am sixty eight next year. I just found this looking for literature discussion on google and it seems like fun. It's like the arguments we used to have on trains when we were going somewhere in Europe and I was in my twenties and half the people were drunk and we all spoke different languages. You say things that are mean and cruel and to each others face but nobody means them and we all laugh and drink and then when there's a serious question we all talk it through and ignore the wheezers, which is guys that just want to poke fun, or don't understand. This is what I like about this place, better than the book forums that i go on where everybody is pals and flirting with girls and things. You guys are more fun.

I work but I never work too hard. You really don't have to. but it's good to keep busy and have people who need you around.

>> No.3192574

>>3192572
"You used that image just now about putting the needle in yourself, and the sort of self-abusive, self-destructive element in our culture is a part of all these things. [...] I think more and more our loneliness is being assuaged by addictions of one kind or another and it will be a big part of the end of the world."

"I just taught a term at Stanford and I have not taught for a long time. The kids at Stanford are smart kids. They can write a critical paper, but I guess they don’t know themselves well enough to express their own emotion of looking at the film. They’re too cool in a way to feel the emotion."

>> No.3192590

>>3192557
please, monsieur tripfag-without-the-trip, don't troll what appears to be a genuinely decent po/lit/ician

>> No.3192622

>>3192590
don't impute base motives to me, monsieur. i am simply giving him some advice which will help him in the long and the short run. the race is not to the swift, and the honest do not prevail here. i know this form tragic experience, but i will not burden you with the sad story of my posting career.

>> No.3192629

>>3192622
lol. seriously, lol. i don't know what the fuck your beef is or why you keep calling everyone monsieur but lol

>> No.3192635

>>3189867
DFW is still the best author to have emerged since the Vietnam War

>> No.3192638

>>3192622
i will say, monsieur, since you have raised the topic of my posting career, that it is not only very sad, but it is also very tragic, and there is not a lick of comedy in it, neither one eighth of a smile, or any disturbance of the naso-labial zone, nor the belt of lines that radiate round the eye and signal allegedly the authentic smile, the smile of the eye, about which, monsieur, i confess, i am signally dubious, which is a latin word meaning "doubt", for those unfamiliar with latin, a language which i know nothing of. i assure you, i am very ignorant.

>> No.3192654

>>3191657
whatthefuckamireading

>> No.3192657
File: 10 KB, 497x501, cyrano.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3192638
...t-tell me your story

>> No.3192660

>>3192573
That's interesting. You're probably the oldest /lit/izen we have here. Stop saying "you" though, you can't deny that you're just as much part of it as the rest of us. I agree on your idea of what /lit/ is though.

Stay posting and benevolent uncling.

>> No.3192669

>>3192638
Since you have raised the topic of my posting career, I will say that it not only is very sad but it also very tragic. There is not a lick of comedy in it; not one eighth of a smile, nor any disturbance of the naso-labial zone, nor the belt of lines that radiate round the eye and allegedly signal the authentic smile. The smile of the eye - about which i confess i am signally dubious (which is a latin word meaning "doubt" - for those unfamiliar with Latin) To rephrase it, I assure you that I am very ignorant.

>> No.3192672

>go to a shit thread
>best thread on /lit/ breaks out

My luck.

>> No.3192674

>>3192191
>it's fucking taters outside
what does this mean?

>> No.3192677
File: 93 KB, 459x426, 000_4chan_NOTICE2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Publishers want dumbed down, low attention span writing with simplistic plots for Gen X and after. That explains their shitty writing.

>> No.3192685

>>3192674

That it's cold. Do you even English?

>> No.3192700

>>3192669
full marks, monsieur. go straight to the top of the class!!!!!

>> No.3192708
File: 32 KB, 720x404, a plus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3192669
what a tale, a tale it was,
it was a tale, a tale, a tale,
serpenter tale, lequel cas
a tale, a tale, oh what a tale

>> No.3192729

>>3192700

At least don't make mistakes that are so simply and easy. Did you go to public school?

>> No.3193025

>>3192572
That was a fun read, where'd you get that from?

>> No.3193034

>>3192729
ah so simply, monsieur, so simply do we err. but all is forgiven by his almighty cup.

>> No.3193052

What's the point in writing cryptically on 4chan? Is it to feel like a big fish in a small pond?

>> No.3193056

>>3193052
or like a man, monsieur?

>> No.3193063

>>3193056
no I'm pretty sure it's the lit equivalent of telling your 6 your old nephews that you're a special army man that fights the terrorist bad mens with golden nunchukas cause they don't know any better

>> No.3193072

>>3193063
is it, monsieur? and who are you, satan?

>> No.3193082

>>3193063
are you willing to laugh and to die for your "pretty sure", monsieur? when is the sabbath of your "pretty sure"? when is the long night of your "pretty sure" and the terrible dawn of its circumcision? when everything is gone and the earth still stands, will you call yourself by your true name, satan?

>> No.3193090

>>3193082
yes

Are you NI?

>> No.3193094
File: 50 KB, 447x618, 1341697935423.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3189867
>forgetting about the beatniks

How could you.
Also Hitler.

>> No.3193156

>liking rustic food to go with your rustic music

>> No.3193310

i think gen Y/millenials are a step up, on the right track. no hard feelings for those gen Xers, they did they best they could considering they were the direct hellspawn of the worst generation ever, the baby boomers (who ruined pretty much everything). gen Y is rediscovering sincerity, putting aside the irony and cynicism and all manner of convoluted self-defense mechanisms, the motivation for which is always ultimately a deep and gnawing fear. maybe we will one day learn that the basis for authentic human relationships, indeed for all forms of connection, is vulnerability. a pure, unabashed vulnerability, not unlike that of a child in manner, though unlike in motivation.

maybe we will even stop being entitled for long enough to see that all the shit that's wrong with our world is the result of ignorance, and that ignorance is really much better than malevolence, in the way that accidents are much more tolerable than attacks. and lo, we are chipping away at our collective ignorance. and lo, how things improve.

i actually really hate the pessimism of gen X. they had a choice, a choice of how to see the world. they chose not the way of compassion but the way of selfishness and judgment. that response was at least as bad as the very problems and injustices they so insouciantly scorned

>> No.3193322

>be wallace
>get degree in modal logic
>think it's an apposite approach to literature
>lolololol they'll never find out

>> No.3193323

>>3193310
and then one came who taught men the doctrine of vulnerability. this other was a great knower and a great teacher, and men saw everything through him new again, beautiful, eternal, pure, and, what was the last and greatest of his presents, holy.

>> No.3193341

>>3193323
sarcasm? so hard to tell when your praise rings so true in mine ears

if it is not sarcasm, i applaud your enthusiasm

if it be sarcasm, perhaps you are one of the gen Xers? and unless i miss my guess, your sarcasm is made possible by the deeply-held belief that in fact the doctrine of vulnerability is bleeding heart bullshit, and not at all requisite for authentic human connection. or perhaps you just believe that authentic connection isn't that valuable. how irksome. i have a hard time convincing virgins of the glories of sex. how can you in good faith refute that which you have not experienced? (for if you have experienced true connection, you would not doubt me)

>> No.3193353

>>3193341
they who hear but do not hear, see but do not see, taste but do not taste? they do not have ears, eyes, or tongues for my truth!! ah! ha ha ha! but do they not know, once they have experienced the miracle, and the truth of our mystery has been unveiled, and the doors of the cult lie open to them, that they too will taste the cunt of our vulnerability, the gaping vulnerable wound, --- vulneres --- of our fine sentiments? and perhaps we too one day will enjoy the pleasures of renunciation, and become practitioners of the doctrine of healing those wounds, and perhaps one day we will cease to believe in wounds altogether, perhaps we shall base our religion of strength through suffering only wounds on a religion of strength through suffering everything, perhaps we too will finally return to the song and eternal lament of tragedy?

>> No.3193362

>>3193322
opposite*

>> No.3193603

>>3193353
bravo, a bit christian, and a bit of a stretch in some places (i.e. equating vulnerability with renunciation), but otherwise a top-notch bit of sarcasm, from /lit/ standards at least.

pray tell, is connection without vulnerability possible? do i speak wrong?

>> No.3193711

>>3193603
well done, monsieur. you misunderstand, and i laugh.

>> No.3193728

>>3193711
Please stop saying that word, mister.

It's starting to hurt.

>> No.3193739

>>3193728
where does it hurt, monsieur? i am a savant of physiological algebra.

>> No.3193759

>>3193711
well then tell me what you meant, because my interest is piqued. you exude a great ethos, only a great soul could utter the phrase "cunt of our vulnerability" and make it sound good.

my interpretation of your comment was that you were mocking me for thinking i had some sort of "answer." that always annoys me, not least because i care for the subject, but because any claim can be made to sound naive when attacked with that tone, that unyielding kind of cynicism and spin, which is itself a great art, but profoundly unsatisfying in all the important ways

>> No.3195055

>>3192219
>He said I never feed him
Haha what.

>> No.3195119

>>3192729
Los Angeles Review interview of David Thomson (The Big Screen.) The interview is loaded with insights like this, he captures these ideas wonderfully. Can't wait to get the book

>> No.3195140

I'm superior to the guy that says monsieur a lot.

>> No.3195148

>>3193759
ah, they are always one tone who attack us, one tempo, one mood. our algebra divides in two their substance and their music. the prepared phrase is "unyielding kind of cynicism and spin." we attach it apposite of their music and celebrate the big emancipation.

>> No.3195171

>>3189867
>fucken
Yes. I'm taking your opinions seriously.

>> No.3195196

>>3195148
perhaps you are right. there is but one tone. but as to sarcasm, is not the music inseparable from the substance? for what is sarcasm but refrain in dark key, substance subsumed and defected? thus i remain perplexed by your original comment. what is your actual opinion of >>3193310

>> No.3195201

>>3195196
>trying to enter serious discourse with art school faggot idiotas

>> No.3195218

>>3195196
perhaps, monsieur, you will not allow yourself to be perplexed. it may happen that, god grant it, you will even allow yourself to be mistaken about a man? after all, monsieur, some men are so obtuse, so pretentious, so cynical, that they do not even care if we listen. what? martin babbit?

>> No.3195251

>>3195218
why should it follow from "some men are so obtuse . . . they do not even care if we listen" that i should allow myself to be mistaken about a man, presumably yourself?

who is martin babbit?

>> No.3195254

>>3195251
by the algebra of the zodiac, and all astrological laws, it follows, monsieur.

your humble and obedient servant,

St. Dawkins

>> No.3195386

>>3195254
mother of god

>> No.3195402
File: 11 KB, 229x261, 1353373191503.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

George R.R. Martin.

OP is retarded.