[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 54 KB, 495x498, -1027393664202247041.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3176851 No.3176851 [Reply] [Original]

When I was a teenager, I read Catcher in the Rye and liked it, but for whatever reason I never finished it. Now, at 23, I'm reading it again. And I don't like it. It seems like something I should like based on how people talk about it, but I can't stand the voice of the narrator. He's so needlessly aggressive about every little thing. It gets really annoying.

>> No.3176854

A very common and reasonable reaction.
Reading CitR is pointless after adolescence.

>> No.3176861

>>3176854
A very common and reasonable reaction for an adolescent.
Reading CitR is pointless at adolescence, physical or mental, since that is a stage when a person generally forms opinions based on how contrary they are to what they perceive as established opinion. For example, the Catcher in the Rye being an adolescent book, which is both contrary to cultural and critical consensus, and has no reasonable ground to stand on.

>> No.3176878

Same. I don't hate it, but I don't really relate with Holden as much. I just look at it as a book, rather than form a front against the side it's portraying. I guess.

>> No.3177039

I get really aggressive about stupid shit when I don't jack off enough. Fuckin klonopins

>> No.3178037

I don't know. I thought the whole point was that Holden was having a breakdown, and you weren't SUPPOSED to think he was right. I thought you were supposed to see that his view of society was broken and focused on an innocence that never existed.

My two cents.

>> No.3178047

I never really was impressed or annoyed by it. It was just about some dissatisfied teenager, nothing new there.

>> No.3178559
File: 31 KB, 400x400, Hunter_s_Thompson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Giants over Green Bay, 3 points.

How bout it big guy?