[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 377 KB, 500x492, Nobel_Prize.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3174274 No.3174274[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /lit/, I'm really intrested in one question. Oh, I can assume the answer, but I would like to know your opinion.
Actually I have doubts in Nobel Committee's sanity (at least concerning the prize in literature). From time to time they make really strange choices, for example, I like Samuel Becket and I can understand why he got Nobel Prize, but actully, why didn't Joyce? The strangest thing. Moreover, does anyone know who Sully-Prudhomme is? I suppose, only a few. Does anyone know who Marcel Proust is? I suppose, many. And who do you think was Nobel laureate and who wasn't?

So, /lit/, I would like to know your opinion, why such things happen. And maybe you assume some authors who as you think didn't really deserve Nobel Prize and got it, and vice versa

>> No.3174285

>>3174274
Joyce, Proust, yes. I'm with you
Do not like Bunin and Pasternak

>> No.3174293

>>3174274
bump

>> No.3174304

Yeah. Don't take any Nobel Prize seriously.

See: 1974 - when the Nobel Prize committee decided that Nabokov, Borges, and Graham Greene were all much less deserving than two Scandinavian authors who happened to be members of the Nobel Prize committee.

>> No.3174313

>>3174274
the only reason anyone cares about the Noble is cause of the cash prize, it's just some tattered war mongers way of restoring his reputation that the benefactors take way to seriously, no one really respects it (joust look at how they embarrassed Obama with their try hard peace bullshit, cringe worthy, fumbling politically minded idiots trying desperately to exert a hypocritical influence transient affairs)

the MacArthur is much better at identifying and awarding prizes to actual relevant people who are doing interesting shit

>> No.3174456

>>3174274
So the most well-known author should get the prize? J.K. Rowling is much more well-known than Proust or Joyce. Or why not E.L. James? The thing is, Joyce and Proust have both become well-known posthumously, atleast more known than they were during their life-time. And yes, I know who Proudhomme is, and I'm sure that during his lifetime he was atleast as well known as Proust.

>> No.3174468

>>3174274
>why didn't Joyce?

Because Yeats won it in '23, and they weren't going to give it to another paddy so quickly.

When Finnegans Wake was published in '39, people had bigger things on their mind, and there was no prize for a few years, for obvious reasons.

also, Joyce wasn't good enough

As for why Proust didn't receive the prize, well, that is a puzzler.

>> No.3174473

>>3174468
>Joyce wasn't good enough

YOU DON'T TROLL ME BOY

>> No.3174481

Moreover, does anyone know who Doris Lessing is? I suppose, only a few. Does anyone know who J.K. Rowling is? I suppose, many. And who do you think was Nobel laureate and who wasn't?

>> No.3174516

>>3174473
Joyce wasn't good. YOU don't troll me boy.
oh wait nevermind... forget my poor and superfluous attempt to troll.

I'll cite my english teacher: "Ulysses? I haven't read it, but I mean honestly, how good can it be? I heard it only recounts the events of one day."

>> No.3174526

>>3174516
Buddy I live in Ireland and there are teachers when I was at school who didn't view him as the fucking Irish messiah as they should have and instead said Ulysses was just the work of an erudite mind. I mean jesus.

>> No.3174591

>>3174526

Ireland brofist
When I was young Joyce was just one of those boring guys they liked to do documentaries on, like Beckett, Yeats, Wilde, Heaney etc.

>> No.3174594

Guys, it's really, really difficult to predict which authors will endure in posterity, and the Committee also have a social obligation to spread their winners out equally across the globe.

All things considered I think the Nobel is probably the most credible literary award.

>> No.3174613
File: 29 KB, 196x285, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Proust
>deserving of anything

>> No.3174638

>>3174594

James Tait Black.

>> No.3174758

They tend to give those prizes to "safe" authors. Neither Proust or Joyce were safe in their time.

>> No.3174971

>>3174758
exactly