[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1013 KB, 2327x2980, Caspar_David_Friedrich_032_(The_wanderer_above_the_sea_of_fog).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3154567 No.3154567[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

The other day I was watching the most recent spiderman movie and there was a scene that stuck out to me.

Towards the end he's in his English class and the teacher says something like "There is only one story in literature - Who am I?"

I know it's just a movie, but how accurate do you think this is or to what extent do you think this is true?

>> No.3154572

It's only true of bildungsroman, and is just a way to make the movie seem more profound and universal for being a coming of age story.

>> No.3154591

I don't know how to answer to you in terms of "extent", but if you look at all stories at the most shallow level, yes, they are one and the same. The hero story. That is because it is our story, the person in the world story, the overcoming of conflict, the journey back to yourself. It's true.

Whether that should stick to your mind or not, I don't know, I don't find it to be useful to analysis, nor will it improve your experience reading. It's just nice to remember it sometimes.

But anyway, the way they show classes in movies is hilarious, completely ridiculous, don't take it seriously.

>> No.3154979

I would say it's true in the sense that an author must reflect upon him/herself in the process, therefore ultimately it is an extension of the authors sense of self, but then again I say a lot of things that aren't true as well... who am I?

>> No.3155053

It's just bullshit they slapped into the movie for plot and theme.

>>3154979
You're really selling yourself and literature short when you think about literature in this way, just saying.