[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 321x450, 021995.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3133472 No.3133472 [Reply] [Original]

Call me a pleb if you like, but I think this might be the best book I've ever read. I read the second half in one sitting just because I couldn't stand to put it down. I felt like I was there and that the characters were my brothers. My heart almost beat out of my chest as they prepared for the battle, I literally felt the anxiety as if I was there.No other book has made me feel quite so strongly for the characters.
My only question is with all the "obscenity"s instead of writing a curse word. Was he trying to make a point that Spanish curse words don't have perfect translations in English or did he really just not want to write curse words?

What are your thoughts on the book?

What did you think?

>> No.3133508

I think it's his best work and I did enjoy it quite a bit. I wouldn't go so far as to call you a 'pleb' but I certainly don't think it's the best book I've ever read. The passages of RJ and Maria's love-making are beautifully composed and some of my favorite literary illustrations of such scenes.

>> No.3133524

Hemingway is one of my favourite authors, but I don't really understand all the fuss about that book. I've always thought The old man and the sea or Farewell to arms were better.

>> No.3133534

Haven't read the book, but I don't think he was allowed to curse in the book at the time. I know he sent a copy of farewell to James Joyce with the words written in place of the dashes, so I don't think he personally had a problem with cursing.

>> No.3133537

>>3133534
Do they have a version with the words filled in? It's just a little weird to read it like that.

>> No.3133545

>>3133537
I don't know. I think it depends on the publisher.

>> No.3133556

>>3133472
>call me a pleb if you like

This isn't /mu/ you junkie.

>> No.3133572

Amazing book, the first work of his that I read.
At first I was little put off by the language but it grew on me, and the story was brilliant.
I think "he was trying to make a point that Spanish curse words don't have perfect translations in English", hence all the "in the milk" variations and such.

>> No.3133581

I like the book, too.