[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 200x241, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3125180 No.3125180 [Reply] [Original]

Teach me how to write poetry. I wanna be a songwriter.

>> No.3125185

read 'How To Read' by Ezra Pound. go out and read. learn to analyze and take the best of literature and apply it to your life. read some more and develop your own vocabulary and style.

>> No.3125186

>Write poetry
>Read poetry
>Write more poetry

Repeat steps 1 - 3 ad infinitum.

>> No.3125189

>>3125180
yeaaa about that

i'm a great writer, I can crank out a riveting historical fiction in no time flat and can piece together a technically proficient research paper in lickidty split.

but one time I tried song writing with a "meh" can't be that hard mentality going in...

I almost punched my own face for how douchy I felt then laughed my ass off at how pisspoor it was then never spoke of it again.

I really don't think anyone would be any good at it unless they feel as passionate about the subject as they do about life itself or if they've been through some really rough times

idk

>> No.3125192

Immagine trying to learn to play music without listening to music.
You gotta listen to music.
Now imagine you listen to music, but you never learn about notes or scales. You gotta learn that stuff.

So if you wanna write poetry, you gotta read lots of poetry. Then you gotta learn about structure and meter and all that good stuff.