[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 63 KB, 432x648, Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3106666 No.3106666 [Reply] [Original]

Does this book read more like a novel or more like a work of non-fiction simply veiled thinly as fiction?

>> No.3106699

More like Fantasy. Think Alice in Wonderland.

>> No.3106715

Yeah, it's a pretty good book. I never got to finish it because I was borrowing it from a friend, but what I did read was fan fucking tastic. I'd say it's fiction but it makes outstanding and realistic points about reality.

>> No.3106728

>>3106699
Cool.

>>3106715
Cool. So just a genuinely fucking cool novel then? Sounds like a blast!

>> No.3108993

>>3106728
Yeah, pretty much fantastic. One of my favorites is when the guy explains pretty much the differences between thinkers/philosophers and normal people. Babies are like philosophers, they don't expect anything from the world, always are learning and asking why. If at breakfast Daddy just floated up toward the ceiling for no reason Mommy would freak out and scream and rant and wonder what was going on, but because the baby has no idea that it ISN'T a normal thing, it doesn't react in such a way.

>> No.3109028

My brother's a philosophy major and when he saw me reading that book, he laughed and said, "enjoying your babby's first philosophy?"

>> No.3109038

>>a work of non-fiction simply veiled thinly as fiction

This. I found the whole thing sort of simple-minded, and it presents the outdated fantasy that "Karl Marx" represented some kind of culmination of Western thought.