[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 650x500, 00000122.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3105364 No.3105364 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/. I'm looking for the word/philosophical school that describes someone who doesn't believe in God, but believes that the universe must have been created by something unknowable, outside of observable reality. (I use the word 'created' here, but it's not supposed to imply intent).

>> No.3105375

>>3105364
theist agnostic? But basically all philosophic talks of god.

>> No.3105378

Deism.

Although your statement lies open to a question about what constitutes a "God". But deism is basically the school of thought that says that there's an impersonal creator first mover type God but that's the limit of it.

>> No.3105410

>>3105378
>Deism.
"is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to determine the existence of a creator, accompanied with the rejection of revelation and authority as a source of religious knowledge"

Yeah, that's kind of what I was looking for. But from Hobbes to modern deism, it still seems a bit too theisty though. I need something that rejects intent, and rejects a classical God on the bases that first cause or anything external are unknowable, but still maintains that external influence was the cause of our singularity.

>> No.3105417

>>3105410
Agnostic deism, I guess.

I don't know of any thinkers who hold with that position though. I don't think it really "gets" you anything that agnosticism or deism don't already "get" you. It seems functionally identical in most ways to either of those two positions. So I can't see anyone making a big deal out of it, they'd probably either call themselves agnostics or deists one way or the other.