[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 200x310, 200px-The_Stand_cover[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3025833 No.3025833[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm going on a ten hour car ride, and just picked this up for 50 cents at the Goodwill. Is it decent? I usually go on /mu/, and I'm pretty much a literature pleb.

>> No.3025845

It's pretty entertaining if you like that kind of thing. Just so you're not caught off guard, (vague spoiler) King brings the supernatural into the story later on and nearly ruins what should have been a really realistic and gripping story. It's still pretty good though.

>> No.3025852

>>3025845
That doesn't surprise me. I'm a little hesitant because King's stories always seem to be the same to me. It's hard to explain. The stories are different, but his writing style is predictable if that makes sense. Like, in very book Ive read by him, people piss their pants when they get scared. Stuff like that.

I'll check it out though, thanks

>> No.3025855

>>3025852
King books are mostly the same, but this one is a bit better than a lot of the others I've read. I mean, it's King, so he spends hundreds of pages on pointless character development and brings supernatural elements into the story for no good reason, but it's good.

>> No.3025878

Personally, i love Stephen King. The Dark Tower series imo is amazing. Maybe my opinion is biased, but i really liked the stand. (It tied into The Dark Tower series as well.)

>> No.3025928

>>3025878

*some* of the dark tower series is amazing. The first 3 are good, the rest are ehh. 4 is downright awful

>> No.3026035

>>3025833
The Stand and IT are about the only worthwhile things to read by King. The Dark Tower was already for two books, and then went down hill very fast.