[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 200x263, 200px-Oedipus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3011474 No.3011474 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/ let's analyze the template Greek tragedy, 'Oedipus Rex'.

Questions of interest:
What is Oedipus' true fatal flaw?
Reflect on the relationships between the characters, and what they represent.
What does Oedipus want of the Gods?

I'll be posting my response shortly, feel free to contribute.

>> No.3011484

Hey /lit/ let's analyze the template of faggotry, OP.

Questions of interest:
What is OP's thread's true fatal flaw?
Reflect on the relationships between other posters, and what they represent.
What does OP want of other posters?

I'll be posting my response shortly, feel free to contribute.

>> No.3011503

>>3011484
1. It's a homework thread by a fag
2. Fags, fags everywhere.
3. Homework answers

I think I should get an A+ on this.

>> No.3011506

>>3011484
ok
>>3011503
nope

Oedipus' fatal flaw is immoderation. He is a great leader, and a man who loves to much. When he hears word of his prophecy he leaves his home, family and wealth behind in an attempt to avoid fucking his mom and killing his dad. Because of O's irrationality in response to the fragment prophecy, he ends up fulfilling it.

The vastness of emotion is his downfall, though it makes him "the first among men".

>> No.3011528

>>3011506
Oedipus and Creon are both leaders. Creon is a moderate leader, with rational thought. He is a technocrat while Oedipus is a political and military figure.

Jacosta, O's mom, who becomes aware of who O is, sees the ugliness in the truth and attempts to stray him off the path. Though she knows the prophecy has already been fulfilled, she still attempts to save Oedipus from his own curiosity because she knows the truth for all its disgust.

>> No.3011536

>>3011528
When Creon confront Oedipus concerning the division of the land, he preaches to him that they are both leaders and the land and it's fate should be left to be divided between them. In this situation, Creon is Oedipus and Oedipus is representive of the Gods. What Oedipus wants most is to avoid his prophecy, and he feels that it is unfair for his fate to be left to the Gods, just as Creon feels it unfair for the fate of the land to be left to Oedipus.

>> No.3011559

I cringe a little bit every time I see the words 'fatal flaw'. The Greek from which this notion of the tragic hero's 'fatal flaw' comes from is Aristotle's Poetics, which stipulates that a tragic hero must have a ἁμαρτια (hamartia), which is not so much of a flaw as a deeply embedded part of the character's personality, a human weakness flavoured with Greek morality (ἀσεβεια, or lack of respect for the gods, is a common one, see Euripides' Bacchae), or even simple bad fortune, take Heracles, for example in Euripides' Heracles, whose tragic failing was simply to have been born to a lover of Zeus and thus arouse the ire of Here, which would eventually lead to him murdering his whole family, his tragic 'peripeteia' or reversal.

>> No.3011579
File: 32 KB, 400x332, 1243309636920.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oedipus' fatal flaw is his cowardice and passive-agressive nature.

What, you want me to reflect on every character in the play? Fuck you, man.

Oedipus wanted his legs to be un-crippled so he could participate in the Olympic games with Enkidu, that's why he said he longed for his name to be Benipus for eight fucking pages.

Did you even read the novel?

>> No.3011614

>>3011559
Sorry, that's how i was conditioned learning it. Though his fatal flaw is a personality trait, which would be his immoderate personality. I agree with you, that's why the prophecy came true, he was born to fulfill it, it was in his nature.

>>3011579
He was not a coward. If he was passive-aggresive because he had a little problem with hearing shit that he didn't want to hear. His search for the truth at all costs, among his title as 'tyrranus' and straight-forwardness in expression of motive, all say otherwise.

I don't want you to do shit, this is /lit/ and this is literature related, do whatever the fuck you want dude.