[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 28 KB, 348x526, BelushiCollege.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3009775 No.3009775[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So, I'm a 21 year old male, born andn raised in the United States, but about one and a half years ago I moved out to pursue other interests. I was studying in community college before I left, but decided to drop out in order to pursue other interests. While I do not regret dropping out (the things I have experienced and learned in this time have been invaluable to me), I feel it might be time to give school another chance.

I was never a good student, and I mean since elementary school; always a troublemaker, never doing the work, feeling out of place, etc. I encountered the same issues during my brief tryst with community college.

Still, I feel it might be time to pursue my studies. So I would really like to hear about your experiences with higher education. Tell me about yourselves: what you are studying, where you are studying, how you find it so far, etc.

I'm also rather curious about the difference in the educational experiences of people studying in different countries. During my travels I met other expats who claimed that the quality of the education they received in Europe was vastly superior to their education in the United States. I guess that's a good a place as any to begin this discussion.

Thanks in advance.

>> No.3009804

>>3009775
>expats
Were these expats American by any chance? Britfag here, aside from the big two American universities offer a superior education. Also dem accents get da bisches wet. Honestly, you'd be better off asking /trv/. They're far more worldly and less teenage than /lit/.

>> No.3009809

>>3009804
>de from the big two American universities offer a superior education. Also dem accents get da bisches wet. Honest

I was speaking in that instance specifically of Americans. Though, of the many nationalities I've had occasion to meet, Americans do not compromise a majority.

>> No.3009811

>>3009809
Actually just to add, for conversation's sake, I met a lot of Europeans who study in the UK, especially Italian and Dutch.

>> No.3009814

You can absolutely get a great education in the US, it'll just be really expensive.

(You probably won't get one at State U, let alone at State Tech. But there are plenty of great schools in the United States. As I'm sure they're are in Europe. I guess I just want to push back on the notion that Europeans are automatically more intelligent, better educated, more cultured, full of magical fairy dust, and in general superior to Americans)

>> No.3009817

>>3009811
Well in any case this is the kind of question /trv/ fields all the time. Ask them and they'll give you good answers. The board is really slow but it's one of the most (if not THE) quality boards on 4chan.

>> No.3009820

>>3009814
> I guess I just want to push back on the notion that Europeans are automatically more intelligent, better educated, more cultured, full of magical fairy dust, and in general superior to Americans

I know that can be a really annoying stereotype, but honest to god, my experience has confirmed it again and again.

>> No.3009821

>>3009814
>Europeans are automatically more intelligent, better educated, more cultured, full of magical fairy dust, and in general superior to Americans
Which you should because that notion is pure bullshit.

>> No.3009823

>>3009814
O shit I had a typo and used the wrong form of 'there'

Mea culpa, it's 2:30 AM here, I'm about to go to bed, very tired.

>>3009820
Well, I suppose that's your experience.

>>3009821
I agree, personally.

>> No.3009825

>>3009817
Ok, thanks for the advice. I didn't even realize there was a travel board.

Also something else I noticed: the coolest brits I met studied in Brighton.

>> No.3009827

>>3009823
West coast bro fist.
>>3009820
I dunno where you grew up man.

>> No.3009828

>>3009823
Also Europeans, so far, have been funner to party with. Sorry for perpetuating this stereotype, and I totally realize the purely anecdotal nature of everything that I am saying; it's just that Swedes are like the coolest people ever.

>> No.3009831

>>3009827
>I dunno where you grew up man.
Actually that probably factors in a great deal into my opinion since I grew up in a hick town just outside LA, but keep in mind I'm comparing the Europeans I've met while traveling to the the Americans I've met while traveling.

Honestly I think we should change the subject. I don't think this conversation is going to be very fruitful, and I don't want to start an argument.

>> No.3009834

>>3009828
>funner to party with
Actually this stereotype, I think, is completely true.

>> No.3009837

>>3009831
>Honestly I think we should change the subject. I don't think this conversation is going to be very fruitful, and I don't want to start an argument
I see the Euros have gotten to you already. There's no hope for you.

>> No.3009841

>>3009837
Yes, I must say, I am totally beyond saving.

>> No.3009845

>>3009831
I will just add that LA people are the coolest Americans. I don't know where the superficial/fake stereotype comes from, but the people in LA are way down to earth and super genuine.

Also Werner Herzog agrees with me on this, so it must be true.

>> No.3009849

Where do you get college books?

>> No.3009850

>>3009845
Uh, that's clearly wrong, LA is in fact the worst part of California, whereas Northern California is objectively the best part. It's been proven.

Uh, the other thing I wanted to say, more seriously, is that I'm not sure how Americans backpacking or expating or whatever in Europe are going to be typical. I don't know, though. My tendency is to think people are mostly kind of short-sighted and thoughtless everywhere. Maybe Europe is full of wonderful cultured intellectuals everywhere. But I really, really doubt it. From the times I've been there and from everything I know about it.

>> No.3009856

>>3009850
>ed to say, more seriously, is that I'm not sure how Americans backpacking or expating or whatever in Europe are going to be typical. I don't know, though. My tendency is to think people are mostly kind of short-sighted and thoughtless everywhere. Maybe Europe is full of wonderful cultured intellectuals everywhe

I have bad experiences with NorCal :O

Also I have not been to Europe since I was thirteen. I've been travelling elsewhere...

Let's get back to talking about higher education. Are you currently pursuing a degree?

>> No.3009903

You don't belong in college. Please don't go there.

>> No.3009907

>>3009856
>Let's get back to talking about higher education. Are you currently pursuing a degree?

Nope. Graduated a couple months ago.

>> No.3009924

>>3009907
What did you study?

>> No.3010342

bump

>> No.3010941

bump

...how many of you guys are actually college educated?

>> No.3010946

>>3010941
a lot of us but I'm not going to waste my time guiding your life.

>> No.3010953

>>3010946
That's a really mean thing to say, buddy. I just want advice. In the end the decision will be my own, just like every other one I've made...

Also I just like to talk to people about their lives because of this thing called curiosity. Jerk.