[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 686 KB, 1750x1183, writing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3006936 No.3006936 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/

Is there anyone here who can give me ways I can improve my style and expression in my essays? I got my finals coming up and could really use the help.

>> No.3006938

Give us an example of your work so we can help.

>> No.3006944

No sorry, I write all my essays by hand, like I will have to in my exams, so I have no digital copies. All I can say is that my structure is basic, and the way I express myself is too formulaic and doesn't show fluency.

>> No.3006949

>>3006944

That makes it hard for us, but why not?
Compress everything. I write out everything in a very basic style, and then once I'm finished I find ways to shorten sentences. Combine them. Change words. I read it out loud. When it sounds clunky I use a synonym. I try to use imagery, and use words that are more fun, while remaining academic. If you're finding it difficult to find the right words, force yourself to use words beginning with a certain letter. If you read the third paragraph of my last assignment, and only paid attention to the first letter of every sentence, you'd read "FUCK A DOG."
Stuff like that is good.