[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 250x408, Atlas Shrugged.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3006579 No.3006579[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of this book?

>> No.3006582

lol

>> No.3006583

Are there like only 5 posters on /lit/?

>> No.3006593

I still believe it's a rule not to speak of this book.

>> No.3006655

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

>> No.3007166

>>3006655

People posting that quote over and over are even more annoying that those who create these threads.

>> No.3007197

Cult followings: red flag.

>> No.3007207

>>3007166
They're actually not.

>> No.3007208

It's not that bad.

If you really get into what she's saying, and are not so unfortunate as to be bit by the bug, you'll probably find it disturbing. Among other things, she vouches for an objective world. How she as a subject can tell, is one of many things that puzzle me. Despite her politics also focusing on the individual, they are strangely collectivistic. I'm pretty sure the overall economy would flourish in such a society, but the unlucky ones would suffer madly.

But her prose is fine, and there's something very charming about her impossibly stout characters doing impossibly stout things. They hold 50 pages long speeches, and offer to fix torture machines when they break on them.

Atlas Shrugged is the epic, but I think most people would get all they need from The Fountainhead.

>> No.3007210

mod plz

>> No.3007213

im not a white, middle-class, American, male high school student who still lives with their parents, lives within a dorm or has a limited amount of experience living/functioning in the ‘real’ world
I feel indifferent to it.

>> No.3008898

Ugh. I tried to read the book for it's intellectual value, but I just couldn't get into it. The story is just too boring for me to really pay attention and decipher everything.

>> No.3009050

English was not Ayn Rand's 1st language. And you can fucking tell.