[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 307x442, Sieg Heidegger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2982420 No.2982420 [Reply] [Original]

Go to amazon, search your favorite book and post a 1 star review of that book:

"Heidegger endeavour is like to examine the condition of whiteness in general.

Being is not more real and substantive than whiteness. It is just a category, a verbal shorcut.

If per chance is philosophically useful, it is only on the most shallow, no deeper sense.

Of course you can write -as he did- more or less moving pages about the condition of the human being, the "dasein", but that does not get us one step nearer some kind of ontological certainty.

If someone like that kind of writting, I advice the Science of Logic by Hegel, 100 times more interesting and inspiring, although not an inch more convincing. "

>> No.2982432

1. I am a total book-worm and I am up for reading any book. I had to do this book for a report, I like dogs so I thought it would be a good book. The constant crying and sobbing, I just can't couldn't take it. I struggled to finih this book. This is a good book for people who love to cry. Drama people. This book was not for me and I do not reccomend this book to ANYONE.

2. I am a total book-worm and I am up for reading any book. I had to do this book for a report, I like dogs so I thought it would be a good book. The constant crying and sobbing, I just can't couldn't take it. I struggled to finih this book. This is a good book for people who love to cry. Drama people. This book was not for me and I do not reccomend this book to ANYONE.

2. I disliked this book. I dislike this book because it made me cry. It made me cry because a boy tripped on an ax and died, one dog died from a mountain lion, and the other dog died of grief, and the dogs killed raccoons. There were many sad parts and not many happy parts.

3. This book was great until the end. I read it as a kid in the 5th grade and enjoyed the story and the journey of the kid earning money for the dogs and his bond with them.

But, the ending is horrible. You will cry, you will be angry, and you will feel betrayed by this book forever. My husband and I still can't beleive how depressing the end is.

If you must read this stop before the last couple of chapters. Then imagine the dogs living a happy long life by the fireplace.

>> No.2982436

>>2982432
4. 4. This book disgusts me because if I were younger this book weould be a very sad book that would bring back bad memories and I'm sorry to the people who like this book but I found it disgusting in how graphic it is I mean no kid should read about a dog's insides falling out that is just grotesque for a little child to read and how a boys dreams are shattered in this book, we have enough tragic things in our life without having to hear of things like this so I would advise you not to read this if you were younger because it is just disturbing :( very gross :(

5. My son had to read this book for class, and he really didn't like it. He said it was too sad at the end. He mostly liked the book, but the ending ruined the story.

6. I read this book for a report and i hated every letter of the book. All this kid does is cry, cry, cry, and cry some more. Every page i turn says "I never do this, but a tear came to my eye when i saw my dogs playing"....Its like who cares!! He cries when he sees his dogs playing together. And whats the deal with this "coon skin". What kid wants a coon skin so bad that they will like cut down a fifty foot tree. Especially at the end when Old Dan is attacked by a mountian lion and dies. And then Little Ann dies of "depression"!! Hahahaa. And then when the father gets killed by the robber!! I would reccomend this book if you feel like laughing.

>> No.2982443

>>2982436
7. I read this book in school i hated it it is soo bad. First of all it is like almost all about hunting,second of all Billy is the biggest wimp he cries over everything. He cried when he got the dogs he cried when he thought he couldn't get the dogs, he cried when he thought he scared his mother he cried when he couldn't cut down that stinkin tree for the coon. I meann i didn't like it at all.I so don't recommend this book!

8. Where the Red Fern Grows is a very long book about a boy who wants two coon hounds he won't be satisfied with just one but wants two. He has to raise the money on his own because is family has no money to even buy a new mule so they certainly don't have money to buy two hounds for a boy. The boy must wait for two years before he finally has all the money raised. When he gets his dogs he wants to make them the best that they can be. I really didn't like the book and though the ways that they went upon stuff was fairly poor. I wouldn't recommend this book because I thought it was a stinky book.

9. I hated it. The book Where the Red Fern Grows was terrible. It had dogs dying. It had a child getting killed. It made me feel sad and I cried. Raccoons are fuzzy animals and very nice. But there was raccoon hunting in this book. This book made me feel sad and mad. I do not want other kids to read it because I do not want other kids to be sad.

>> No.2982451

being is how reality discloses itself...

>> No.2982454

Book 1:
I really disliked this book in a MAJOR way, I don't know if it's just me or what but I found myself falling asleep and putting off the REQIURED reading untill last min. While some of the values and morals the book teaches I will admit are worth while, like [main character]. says, I could have learned it in a prosistution house. I am in 10th grade and was required to read this book. I found it EXTREMLY boring and not worth the time I was FORCED to spend on it. I also unlike most high schoolers DO enjoy reading some and many books I find interesting I read on my own often. I personaly am glad we are done w/ our unit on [Book Name] b/c you would have to pay me a lot of money to read it again. Also if any one out there is thinking that I am just a illeterate high school student, that has nothing better to do than go out and drink, maybe your right but, i do my homework I have all a's and am in ALL Honors corses, thank you very much. EMPinNC

Book 2:
This is a monologue of a confession by a Parisian lawyer to another over the course of five days. This monologue follows the life of a successful lawyer who is also a libertine into his dissolution.

Despite my best efforts, I found nothing laugh out loud funny nor anything remotely interesting in this book.

Nobel prize? Unbelievable.

>> No.2982465

>>2982451
no dude its like the whitness i read plato. i know its just idea lol

>> No.2982489

Perfect.

I have heard that this book is one of the best English works of the 20th century, ranking high in many lists and such. I highly disagree. I TRIED to read this book, but the book is simply very uninteresting. I lost the point Joyce was trying to make not only because I lost interest, but also because the point is buried under multiple layers of philosophy and symbolism. My conclusion, if you are looking for a book that delves into human development in a highly realistic manner, get THE CATCHER IN THE RYE instead. Not only is CATHCER more enjoyable, you will get the point even if you are only an average reader.

>> No.2982496

I love these threads, keep it up.

>> No.2983202

to tell the truth, i didn't finish this book, so my review is limited to the hundred or so pages i did get through. i first heard of kundera's book from an instructor of mine in college. he, as well as others in the class, raved about the book, so i decided to check it out. but i just couldn't get through it. the characters did not capture me or make me feel any affinity towards them so that i would continue reading. and kundera's continuous interjections to contemplate philosophical issues disturbed the story's momentum. i suppose for those who enjoy philosophical inquiries and who have high levels of concentration and patience (i.e., lovers of zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance) this book is heavenly, but for those who can't endure 'authorial disturbances' (and characters as simply symbols) this book is a long and tedious experience.

>> No.2983211

Got it off Goodreads because Amazon was all postive. The Dream Songs by John Berryman:

I had to read these in Poetry School.

Almost everything else there I liked--but not these. I just didn't get it.

Pretty hard to read. Just not very fun.

(I know they're not meant for fun. Still...)

Somehow, nothing to pull you in. Just kind of grating, off-putting.

Also...You ever read "Cat's Cradle" ?

How they say "No damned cat. No damned cradle."

I thought that here.

Where's the dreams? Where's the song?

(And I've even heard some good explanations, too--about this stuff.)

That Dreamsongs from some ancient / older culture --

that b/4 dying, get some message or something.

Heard Joe Wenderoth give a speech: that when faced with the Poetic Moment,

kind of horrifying--and mortality--overwhelming, kind of a nightmare,

it makes sense that even your language is disrupted, disjointed...

And I still don't like them that much.

>> No.2983212

>>2982420

This review is from: Invisible Man (Paperback)
I ordered this book for my son to read for his high school honors English class. After beginning to read, he promptly closed the book because of its graphic nature. It may contain some compelling scenes, but be forewarned that it's also graphic. We discarded the book.

>> No.2983217
File: 265 KB, 749x701, 1347322501946.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"I just don't understand this it was such a simple tale stretched out to the max that just bores one to death. Big books are no problem, the problems is that when those big books are dull books. Not only was this book big (and I mean big) but it was so boring. No action or romance that the average fantasy lover looks for, I'd give no stars, but that's not an option is it?"

>mfw Watership Down
>mfw it's not even that long
>mfw no action or romance

What the hell do you want, bunny humping?

>> No.2983218

>>2983217
Watership Down is rather sexist though.

>> No.2983225

>>2983218

General Woundwort sure knew how to put those bitches in their place, but what can I really say?
The prostitution allusion went straight over my head when I was eleven

>> No.2983230

>>2983225
>prostitution
It's not reading something that isn't within the text. Watership down is meant to be based on how real rabbit colonies work and would go on that little adventure, but rabbits are heavily matriarchal. Women rabbits can be quite vicious. In Watership Down, however, they're more like damsels in distress that have to be saved by some blokes who do everything in setting up a new burrow. A General Woundwort's real life counterpart would be a highly aggressive and sexual female.