[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 225x321, big brother 1984.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2981680 No.2981680 [Reply] [Original]

Dear /Lit/
Why is there a paradigmatic trend in literature?
This may seem a little ambiguous, let me explain clearly.
The general trend, it seems, in the reading of literature by the general public accords with Kuhn's explanation of paradigm shift. For example, the harry potter book series brought reading to the fore and became the trend, thrusting reading into the limelight of society, yet only in the form of this book, the same occurred previously with Brown's da vinci code and a great number more. This was followed by the stupid twilight series and its fans' spurious claims about its literary merit and so on more recently to that awful 50 shades abortion.
What I would like to question here is am I wrong or is this actually happening among the masses? I admit there would necessarily be exceptions, but the trend seems quite prevalent to me.

>pic unrelated

>> No.2981708
File: 12 KB, 263x350, adorno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/adorno/1944/culture-industry.htm

>> No.2981710

>>2981680
I can't see how you can consider change of trend as a change of paradigms, there can be different trends still functioning inside one social paradigm. I don't think harry nor twilight brought reading to light and changed something. Fanbases mostly read only their own titles and never reach for something else stopping their reading adventure with the end of the series.
But yeah, there's a one title popping out each decade and gather crowds just to sink and be forgotten few years later. It's called "popular literature market".