[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 200x348, 200px-Hyperion_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2980113 No.2980113 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of the Hyperion series?

>> No.2980119

I've heard it's good, but I've never read it.

>> No.2980312
File: 95 KB, 400x300, Shrike_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

first two books were good. the twists and turns needed to bring about the climax in book four made it a little less credible. fucking time travel! i groan every time it appears.

also, Silenius has to be the most repellent antagonist i've ever read. each time he speaks, i just want to slap his goaty face off the front of his skull.

Lamia crouched next to him and touched his pack. "That's what you've been carrying. The pages of your poem. The Cantos."
"Of course," he said.
"And you still think that proximity to the Shrike will allow you to finish it?"
Silenus shrugged, feeling the heat and dizziness whirl around him. "The thing is a fucking killer, a sheet-metal Grendel forged in hell," he said. "But it's my muse."

- Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion

>> No.2980353

Enjoyed the shit out of the first two. Haven't read either Endymion.

>> No.2980365

Pretty mindblowing overall. I thought the clearly-trying-to-be-epistolary one was trying-to-hard-to-be-epistolary, and some of the themes kinda petered out in the last one, but yeah, must-read SF.