[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 240x240, demian[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2978358 No.2978358[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I just read the shit out of this book and good god Herman is such a damned pimp ass nigger. It's as if I am reading bad mother fucking Friedrich the Übermensch Nietzsche in a novel format yet without the hoe hating and bitch slapping. Nigger you need to live in your own dream world, not some other bitch's. You make that shit yourself, don't be a pussy living for someone else's dream.

Anyway what else are some good books along these lines? I've already read Steppenwolf, Siddhartha and Narcissus and Goldmund.
Is glass bead game in the same tradition as his other existentialist novels?
Doesn't have to be Herman Hesse either, just interested in something new. I have already read most of the classic existential-esque novels.

>> No.2978376

I have no idea what the first segment of your post was supposed to say. Did you enjoy it or not?
His novel Journey to the East is quite good and somewhat similar to Steppenwolf.

>> No.2978408

>>2978376
I really enjoyed it. I like how they built up the end and how it all culminated with WW1 happening but they even acknowledged that it wouldn't be the final changing event and that there would be more turmoil to follow (which was pretty accurate considering the book came out in 1919).

It makes me wonder, will humanity ever face that defining moment where we will truly embraces our own lives and look forward to the future or will we forever muddle along through turmoil and peace until our eventual extinction?

I will check out Journey to the East though, Steppenwolf is my favorite of Hesse.

>> No.2978430

Woah OP I just started that shit tonight by coincidence.

>> No.2978445

Damn it, I've been looking for an ebook of this for a while now, with no avail. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though, op

>> No.2978449

>>2978445
Hold up man I've got it, let me upload it.

>> No.2978452

>>2978449
>>2978445
That didn't take as long as I thought.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0t7sc38rbtdjq2w

>> No.2978465

>>2978449
>>2978452
Whoa, you always appear out of nowhere.
I appreciate it, thank you.

>> No.2978480

Demian is awesome. One of my favorite books.

>> No.2978799

>>2978358

Awesome description OP, I think I'll be saving a screencap of this.

>> No.2978820
File: 53 KB, 530x340, 1346336637437.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2978358
Mann has some great Nietzschean insights as well

>> No.2979529

Bead game is like Sid, but the other side of the coin. Intellectual distance and decay.

>> No.2979549

glass bead game is the toughest read.

try beneath the wheel, gertrude, rosshalde, journey to the east, etc etc.

also try death in venice and other stories by thomas mann. if you like hesse you're likely to enjoy mann. they were both influenced nietzsche

>> No.2979625

>>2979529
I thought of GBG as Steppenwolf on steroids.Castalian society is heavily criticized for it's dissonance between spirit and body,just like Harry was,but it works on a bigger basis.

>> No.2979696

>>2978358
>You make that shit yourself, don't be a pussy living for someone else's dream.
That's the entire point of the novel, though. Everyone Sinclair encounters is an archetype who helps him along his journey to becoming a complete human being. That's why Demian tells Sinclair he's now part of him after they make out.

>> No.2979795

The book presents an idea in a too obvious way and the emotions associated with Sinclair's journey are described as if by a child. No deeply moving aesthetic tools either.

Not wanting to start a war, but I was really underwhelmed by this book.

>> No.2979837

>>2978358
Demian is highly influenced by the concepts of psychologist Carl Jung. Hesse was a patient of Jung and there are some very clear (almost too clear if you ask me) concepts of Jung that were carried over to this book. For example the Archetypes. So if you enjoyed Demian perhaps it would be interesting for you to read Jung to gain better insight. Memories, Dreams, Reflections or Man and His Symbols would be a good start.

>> No.2979864

i just read steppenwolf. I really identified with harry at the beginning, especially the part in treatise on the steppenwolf about suicide and such, and then the book seemed to change directions and portray the haller in the beginning as an ignorant ass clown, which in turn made me feel like one. The main message I got out of it was 'Don't take yourself so seriously and laugh a lot'. Is that the gist of it?

someone please help. 3deep5me?

>> No.2979869

>>2979864
basically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwDGVP1tMTg

>> No.2979886

>>2979864
You know Steppenwolf used to be very popular with drug addicts, alcoholics, gamblers etc but this was really disappointing for Hesse because he felt that these people didn't really get the idea of the book and understood it really only on the very surface. This even made Hesse to write new author's preface to the book trying to explain his message. I believe the main thing you should take from Steppenwolf is to learn 'dance'. Have a balance in life between abstract and real world. Read over the dialog between Haller and Hermine when they first met. Everything is there.

>> No.2979898

>>2979886
i thought the interaction between haller and the musician pointed to what anon said. the musician kind of leads him to believe that he takes himself far too seriously. maybe this is part of that "dance." i haven't read the book in nearly ten years.

>> No.2979930

>>2979886

this, in a way, though a perfect balance through reconciliation of conflicting dualities is never genuine.
its about dancing jazz while still recognizing it as a degenerate artform, its about building and maintaining social ties despite the inner urge to tear them all down, its about becoming a hypocrite really, which is ultimately the only type of honesty in the cultured man.

>> No.2979941

>>2979930
outside of being a racist fuck elsewhere you're saying some good stuff here, stan. i dig it.

>> No.2979945

Hesse>Goethe>Mann

>> No.2979979

What Hesse book would you guys recommend I start with?
I saw Siddhartha at Barnes but it seemed like a bunch of Buddhist Mysticism.

>> No.2980003

>>2979979
If you don't like mysticism, stay far away from Hesse.

>> No.2980033

>>2979696
So are you saying that the book is trying to say to live for other's dreams until you surpass them and then move on to another persons dream and so on until you eventually reach enlightenment?

Also that ending was pretty funny, why is Hesse so damn homoerotic? I would not be surprised if he had polished a few poles in his days.

>> No.2980042

What did you think of the overt faggotry?

>> No.2980049

>>2980042
I must admit a few whyboners were had.

>> No.2980078

maybe the nausea by Sartre would be interesting, i read that after steppenwolf and I really liked although I'm not sure yet if i got it right

>> No.2980096

>>2980033
The novel is largely symbolic rather than a literal road map of what you should do to reach enlightenment. Going by the Jungian reading, the people Sinclair meets are archetypes derived from humanity's collective unconsciousness who help him along on his path.

>> No.2980118

>>2978358
>Doesn't have to be Herman Hesse either
The Transposed Heads by Thomas Mann
The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham