[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 108 KB, 300x382, CormacMcCarthy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2976709 No.2976709[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Let's have a Cormac McCarthy thread, /lit/. What are your favorite works by McCarthy? I'll list the ones I've read and how they fall in terms of favor.

1. The Road
2. Sunset Limited
3. All the Pretty Horses
4. Son of God

Even Son of God is an excellent book, though. Has this man ever written anything short of excellent?

>> No.2976715

You got the title wrong. Are you implying that guy is supposed to be Jesus?

>> No.2976763

only read The Road. really good

>> No.2976766

No Blood Meridian?

>> No.2976820

I've only read The Road and Blood Meridian.
Blood Meridian is obviously the better novel but The Road was still very enjoyable.
He is a great writer, but I'm not really interested in reading any more of his stories, they all seem to have the same theme.
I would like to read Suttree someday though. Looks like fun.

>> No.2976831

>>2976766

Blood Meridian is next on the list. Harold Bloom made a comment that it was the best American novel since one of Faulkner's (I think it was The Sound and the Fury, but I've been wrong before)

>> No.2976834

>>2976831
I think he compares it to As I Lay Dying.

>> No.2976851

>>2976831
>Blood Meridian is next on the list. Harold Bloom made a comment that it was the best American novel since one of Faulkner's (I think it was The Sound and the Fury, but I've been wrong before)

Sorry, but Harold Bloom is a fucken idiot.

The only 20th century American novel worth passing on to our ancestors is Ellison's 'Invisible Man'.

>> No.2976906

>>2976851

Don't be a reactionary little bitch.

Regardless of Bloom's views, 'Blood Meridian' is absolutely one of the greatest American novels ever written.

>> No.2976925

>>2976820
do it. Suttree is my favorite by him. It's his funniest book (but not too funny, it's still McCarthy after all) and has some of his most most endearing characters. It tackles his usual themes without being so nhilistically bleak and it has a melancholy sort of bittersweet mood to it that I prefer to his blackest stuff. I think that the difference is that most of his other work (and I'm thinking specifically of Blood Meridian here) is concerned with trying to reconcile people with unaccountable evil, while Suttree wants to reconcile people with death.

But maybe it's just because I love me some American Lit about rivers.

>> No.2976931

I've read: Blood Meridian, The Road, Suttree, No Country for Old Men, Child of God. I've enjoyed them all immensely.
If I were to rank them, it would go:
1. Blood Meridian
2. Suttree
3. The Road
4. Child of God
5. No Country

>> No.2976951

I did not like The Road. It was a barebones short story that skated along on style until it was long enough for people to consider it a novel.

Stylistically, very well-done. Formally, not so much.

>> No.2977090

>>2976951

I guess that's a fair enough criticism; the plot isn't very substantial. The setting, the aesthetics, and the language are all stunning, though, and I don't think it needs too much of a plot in order to succeed. It managed to elicit a very potent emotional response from me as a result of the prose and the bond between father and son.

>> No.2977097

>>2976834
This guy thinks right.

>> No.2977130

>>2976906
> Don't be a reactionary little bitch.

I will, and you can't stop me.

> Regardless of Bloom's views, 'Blood Meridian' is absolutely one of the greatest American novels ever written.

It is not. Cormac McCee writes pulp fiction for middlebrow readers who don't want to admit to themselves that they haven't outgrown pulp.

>> No.2977151

>>2977130
Why would I want to outgrow pulp?

Also: what is pulp?