[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 256 KB, 709x1189, gardens-of-the-moon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2959730 No.2959730 [Reply] [Original]

I'm halfway through the first chapter of gardens of the moon of the malazan novels right now... right now its kinda meh so i dunno if i should continue, does it get better?

anyway /Lit/ Im looking for a good low/dark fantasy novel that has the papa wolf trope. Something like the witcher or A song of ice and fire.

>> No.2959731

I've had GotM on my backlog for a while now, I want to read it, but I'm not sure if I want to get involved in the massive 10+ book series and risk the author deciding to quit without finishing the series. I don't want to go through what I went through with ASoIaF.

>> No.2959738

Papa wolf means a dad who fights for his kids, aye? Or do you mean like... a vicious sort of Bear homosexual? Like, a big hairy guy that fucks other dudes. And he bites them and shit. Gives them AIDS. Is that the sort of book you want?

>> No.2959741

>>2959738

oh you! yeah the first type, as in a badass protagonist who also takes care of a kid. Like lone wolf and cub, geralt and ciri, clegane and arya, etc etc

>> No.2959764

I finished the first chapter recently and i'm struggling to keep going. The world is intriguing, but somehow the story lacks. I just don't care about any of the characters and am totally confused about the alliances and whose fighting who.

Is it just me?

>> No.2959784

>>2959764

OP here, right now I'm starting to read about topper now. I kinda agree that things haven't been explained well enough throwing alot of terms i dont understand. hopefully it will be explained later on.

As for the characters, some intrigue me, like topper and the fishergirl,.

>> No.2959837

I've read half the Malazan saga and this is my two cents: I read GotM and really liked the first half. I thought the second half of the book, mostly in Darujhistan, was less interesting.

Regardless, over the next five books the Malazan saga will not change. Everything I liked and everything I disliked about GotM was prevalent in the books thereafter. Doesn't mean that some books aren't a lot better than others (because, personally, I have found, thus far, the odd numbered Malazan books good-to-great, and the even numbered ones meh-to-okay) but at the end of the day if you don't like GotM don't carry on with the rest of the series because nothing will come along to change your mind at the series.

Oh, and if you think GotM is complicated it gets a lot worse as you go along, because Erikson keeps dumping layer upon layer of information to his world, as well as conjuring up new people, new eras and new places to add to the complexity.

Papa Wolf? Can't think of anything off the top of my head but if you haven't already read Joe Abercrombie's gritty, minimal-fantasy The First Law trilogy, then why not? IMO he's the best in the genre at the moment.

And on that note: I'm eagerly awaiting Red Country's release next month.

>> No.2959850

The characters don't feel authentic and Eriksson really can't write conversation or sescribe feelings credibly. I can't form an emotional connection with any of the characters, which for me is a deal killer. The worldbuilding is very good, though. If you're autistic/a teenage kid, you will probably enjoy it.

>> No.2959883

if you don't like it already then do what the introduction says and stop reading. no kids will be pushed off castles and there is no vagina magic.

however, if you're wondering if it's anything more than world building then be assured that there is. a lot more.

wait until kruppe comes along, you'll like him.

>> No.2959897 [DELETED] 

I think GotM is the worst for this though, as Paran and Crokus are, at least initially, fairly generic Mary Sue types. They do get a bit better throughout the subsequent books though.

Characters are definitely one of Erikson's weak points. It's not that he can't write good characters (take Krupp for example) but I find he never gives them space to develop. There's too many characters for starters, and there's always so much shit going on that there's rarely any time to see any other sides to any of them apart from the one we're initially presented with.

>> No.2959903

>>2959850

I think GotM is the worst for this though, as Paran and Crokus are, at least initially, fairly generic Mary Sue types. They do get a bit better throughout the subsequent books though.

Characters are definitely one of Erikson's weak points. It's not that he can't write good characters (yes, take Kruppe, for example) but I find he never gives them space to develop. There're too many characters for starters, and there's always so much shit going on that there's rarely any time to see any other sides to any of them apart from the one we're initially presented with.

>> No.2959990

>>2959731

>10+ book series

It's 10. Not 10+.

>risk the author deciding to quit without finishing the series

It's already finished.

>> No.2960097

>>2959990

Yeah.... Except not exactly.

Sure, it's 10 books if you count the Erikson ones. But that means leaving out the B&KB shorts Erikson wrote AND the new Kharkanas trilogy relating to the main Malazan saga.

Not to mention all the four, soon to be five, Esslemont books too.

>> No.2960645

bump

>> No.2960723

It's a good book and series. GOTM is a bit slow going because he is a first time author at the time and he on purpose drops you into this world in the middle of the story.

It's a good series and it is over. The new book coming out is set 2 thousand years before and not apart of the main stoyline so yes it is finished.

Finish GOTM, it's really interesting seeing all these characters converge upon the city in the climax. You got soldiers, spies, magic, ninjas, a floating moon. It's pretty cool.

>> No.2960729

>t's not that he can't write good characters (yes, take Kruppe, for example)

>good characters
>Kruppe
>good

>> No.2960747

>>2960729

What's wrong with Kruppe?