[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 251x204, 1342397662893.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2957372 No.2957372[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/. I read a lot, but I'm looking to enter a whole new area.
I'm looking for more "dark" literature. No novels, the real deal. Something a disturbed mind would read (eg. Sociopath / Psychopath).
It will most likely be Psychology related, but I take anything.

>> No.2957377

Do sociopaths read nowadays?

I know Joel Rifkin read a lot about Jeffrey Dahmer and David Berkowitz.

>> No.2957382

>>2957377
Well, they're mostly highly intelligent persons, which points towards reading a lot, IMO.

>> No.2957393

psychopaths or sociopaths aren't actually like, inherently interesting or 'dark'. I've known a few in my life.

with psychopaths specifically, the scary thing about them is just how untethered from reality they are, and how senseless they are. They seem mysterious from the outside only because inside there isn't very much there, substance wise.

>> No.2957399

OP here.
I'm looking for something disturbing. Or simply really strong. May be in any area, even poetry which is one of my favorites.
I'm currently reading "Requiem for a Dream" (novel). It's my favorite film, so it fits.
Any suggestions?

>> No.2957406
File: 131 KB, 800x600, 1346726969606.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Waiting Period - Hubert Selby Jr

It focuses on the weak, pathetic and eeky creepiness aspects. Will help you stop thinking its cool to be a psychopath.

>> No.2957409

ever hear of a band called Linkin Park?

>> No.2957411

>>2957406
You got me all wrong. My curiosity on the subject divides into two aspects:
1) To see what "darker" and "heavier" reading do to me. What effects do they have on me.
2) In case it's psycho related, to better try to understand their way of thinking.

>> No.2957414

>>2957406
I'm going to check that book, since it's from the same author of "Requiem for a dream". Thanks

>> No.2957416

>>2957409
How is that related?

>> No.2957418

>>2957393
> I've known a few in my life.

what were they like and how did you "discover" them?

>> No.2957417

>>2957393
You're the nutcase. Thinking you can just diagnose people you know without the proper education.

>> No.2957427
File: 25 KB, 320x240, decface1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The letters of Francis E Dec may be of your interest

>> No.2957434

OP here. I'm stumped. Can't download any of the books here recommended online. Apparently there are no e-book or pdf versions of them.

>> No.2957468
File: 1.59 MB, 458x190, zSlST.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You could alwasy read one of those psychopath books 'how to tell' 'warning signs' etc while listening to black metal and burning black candles

>> No.2957493

dear op: have you read any aleister crowley? some occultist that summoned demons at a haunted mansion on the loch ness.. here is a poem i really enjoy of his.. it is not so much dark as romanticist
Kill off mankind,
And give the Earth a chance!
Nature might find
In her inheritance
The seedlings of a race
Less infinitely base.

>> No.2957555

Baby's first edgy.

American Psycho, The Collector, The Gates of Janus, the works of Nietzsche, Waiting Period, The Room (also by Hubert Selby Jr.), the works of Peter Sotos, The Consumer by Michael Gira, the works of Bataille.

Stop being a pseudo-edgy faggot seventeen year old trying to be a psychopath. Also, I enjoy the fact that some of these people in this thread have completely conflated the terms 'psychopath' and 'psychotic'. Retards.

>>2957434
So...go to a fucking library? Wow, that was a tough one, I was worried for a minute we wouldn't be able to solve your problems.

>> No.2957569

Bonus point if you understand, after reading Nietzsche, that he is not actually edgy. At that point you will probably have left the "baby edgy realm".

Those will maybe better suit your initial demand:
-anything by Louis Ferdinand Celine (he wrote fiction, but dark as hell and was quite a jerk in real life)
-Conrad maybe
-Phil K Dick (not necessarily dark, but all his works more or less take place in a psychotic world)
You could also try comics and graphic novel. Some of them are fucking crazy, in the dark sense of the term. Try for instance "arkham asylum", a batman comics about madness. Motherfucking dark. Anything related to expressionism could do.
-Sade can be dark in a crazy, funny and horny way
-Generally speaking, a lot (and I emphasize on lot) of famous works of literature have many dark aspects so maybe you should describe more accurately what you mean by "dark" or "heavy".