[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 200x306, American psycho.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2948233 No.2948233[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm starting to read this book after I watch the movie. Movie was not too bad but I hope the book is much better. What do you guys think?

>> No.2948235

I enjoyed it, it's a lot more fucked up than the movie. I've read it twice.

>> No.2948261

I love this book although it kinda made me depressed

>> No.2948263

American Psycho? Is that a biography of George Bush?

>> No.2948293

Nope, the book is really fucking boring with the occasional "OMFG SO BRUTAL xD" murder scene.

>> No.2948295

>>2948263
Nah, Bush was a true believer. If you want psychopaths look for the smart ones, like Kissinger, Cheney or Obama.

>> No.2948298

Bret Easton Ellis must have some sort of mental disability which may or may not be related to his homosexuality.

>> No.2948300

>>2948233
>Libertarians.jpg

>> No.2948306
File: 9 KB, 247x252, 1311695987452s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck
threads like these have me hoping for Rand and Potter threads
Ellis sux
he really does
he adds NOTHING to the canon

all this American Psycho threads seem to be for the same reason adolescent boys read science fiction

the boy wins in the end
he has power

yech!!!!!!!

>> No.2948315

the movie is way better than the book.

>> No.2948326

>>2948306

>all this American Psycho threads seem to be for the same reason adolescent boys read science fiction

you're saying american psycho threads are created for the same reason adolescent boys read science fiction? please elaborate, i'm really interested in how you could possibly justify a statement that retarded. did you actually think about anything you just said or did you just stab at your keyboard in a spasm of autismal rage? is that why it looks like it was typed by a 9 year old?

>> No.2948349

I think I enjoyed the /fa/ more than anything else in the book.

>> No.2948350

>>2948306

go die in a fucking fire

>> No.2948352

>>2948306
>American Psycho
>Rand
>Potter
>the word canon anywhere near those
ishiggitysmoop

>> No.2948354

There's a lot of gruesome and disturbing content in the book, but I love it. It's very funny and I found it fairly gripping.

>> No.2948355
File: 250 KB, 816x816, 1341801656413.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fantastic book. It's like a nihilist's bible, though, so prepare to be seriously depressed upon finish.

>> No.2948389

i posted this in a large thread last time, but: pleb-tier readings of American Psycho:

>Pat Bateman is such an alpha male I want to be just like him

>What a great satire of yuppie culture. I always knew those wall street types were morally devoid and superficial.

>Whoah Ellis is so edgy and transgressive, he really showed those politically correct feminists what art is really about! Hope to see more books like this in the future.

>Wall Street serial killer. What a hook! John Grisham wish he had a premise like this.

>the murders actually happened

don't get me wrong, i think any and all of those are valid readings of the book (except for the last two), but they are very shallow. quote from BEE himself:

>[Bateman] was crazy the same way [I was]. He did not come out of me sitting down and wanting to write a grand sweeping indictment of yuppie culture. It initiated because my own isolation and alienation at a point in my life. I was living like Patrick Bateman. I was slipping into a consumerist kind of void that was supposed to give me confidence and make me feel good about myself but just made me feel worse and worse and worse about myself. That is where the tension of "American Psycho" came from. It wasn't that I was going to make up this serial killer on Wall Street. High concept. Fantastic. It came from a much more personal place, and that's something that I've only been admitting in the last year or so. I was so on the defensive because of the reaction to that book that I wasn't able to talk about it on that level.

i agree that the writing and the book overall is something of a brick compared to the likes of faulkner or nabakov, but i think there's more going on in the book than people usually give credit.

>> No.2948397

>>2948389
>talks of pleb tier readings
>quotes author's own interpretation

>> No.2948404

>>2948397
hey, i agree, i don't actually think authorial intent or explanation is authoritative, but it's usually good enough for most people. i furnish the quote to show people it is not a book written simply to skewer yuppies and 80s high culture in NYC. there is more to it.

if you read my post carefully, you'd see i didn't put forward my own interpretation

>> No.2948405

If you thought the film was shocking then you should know that the book is about 500% more gruesome.
I really liked it, though, it was very entertaining, but still got a solid message across.

>> No.2948406

>>2948389

If you combine this with this quote:
“…there is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there. It is hard for me to make sense on any given level. Myself is fabricated, an aberration. I am a noncontingent human being.

You could then come to the conclusion Ellis is Bateman. Bateman acknowledges the fact he's not real.

>> No.2948409
File: 75 KB, 467x342, 1410398234_c341320704.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ellis is such an egotistical hack he is probably posting here to back up his shitty book. AP is really a work of staggering non-talent.

pic related: this thread saddens me

>> No.2948410

>>2948295

>Kissinger

He wasn't a psychopath, nor intelligent. In fact he was overly ambitious and in over his head for his career (which explains how his brilliant statesmanship boils down to "bomb those guys EVEN MORE.)

>> No.2948429

That movies one of the few great adaptations of any book that was good to start with.

>> No.2948436

I mostly laughed through the entire book.

>> No.2948470

I think Less Than Zero is much better.

>> No.2949013

having read the book first i was a bit disappointed by the film, though to be honest i think it did the best it could. some of the more graphical scenes in the book simply cannot be put on film without getting censored all over the world.

as for the book, in retrospect i must say it's a good book. the first half seemed very tedious i.e. boring to me at that time, but looking back, i understand why he wrote it that way. the second half really lives up to its title.