[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.35 MB, 1482x2019, milan-kundera.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2928207 No.2928207 [Reply] [Original]

So does this guy just write the same fucking
book over and over again or what?

>> No.2928211

He is best read in small doses, quotes preferable, never whole.

>> No.2928245

>>2928211

Shut up you stupid motherfucker.

You too OP.

>> No.2928249

Which of his works did you find similar, OP?

I haven't read everything he wrote, but I've read about half of them and never noticed a crippling amount of "sameness". Are you talking plot-wise? Or do you mean his style of mixing essay and prose?

On /lit/, a lot of authors get accused of this "writing the same book" and I think it's mostly unjustified.

>> No.2928265

>>2928249

OP is just an edgy kid. Kundera is a diamond dozen.

>> No.2928272

I really cannot abide Kundera. It's the sort of middlebrow stuff read by middleaged female schoolteachers when they're sat in cafes wearing straw hats and big burgundy tint sunglasses on holiday to Provence or Tuscany.

>The Unbearable Lightweightness of Boring

>> No.2928277

>>2928249
mostly plot wise, i really like the whole little essays throughout his work thing and i do like his books but it seems like the exact same thing happens in every one. then again ive only read four or five.

>> No.2928292

>>2928277
Which of his books, specifically? And which plot points, specifically?

If you're talking about his general background of communist Moravia/Bohemian history, well, the guy lived through it. Why shouldn't he write within the context of that?

If you look beyond superficialities, The Joke is very different plot-wise to Unbearable Lightness to Ignorance. I honestly don't see the sameness you're talking about.

>> No.2928299

>>2928265

>diamond dozen

is this really a phrase or are you confusing dime a dozen? I honestly want to know

>> No.2928306

>>2928292
I've read The book of laughter, unbearable lightness, identity, ignorance and maybe one more i can't recall. The plots are different and he has quite a few interesting things to say but it seems like the exact same thing is happeing in every book between all of this, which is, the same sex scene over and over. and he loves to talk how shitting and pissing is as beautiful as crying or something along those lines.

I'm not trying to hate on Kundera, i really do enjoy his work i just feel like it gets a little old after awhile i was wondering if anyone else thought his works seemed like he was using the same formula every time.

>> No.2928309

>>2928207

Kundera is a poor man's Ivan Klima

>> No.2928313

>>2928309
This is completely wrong. Are you just mentioning Klíma because he's more obscure and so people are less likely to have read him, or what?

Klíma is hilariously bad compared to Kundera.

>> No.2928322

>>2928313

I was just fanning the flame so to speak. I wanted to know if /lit/ knew anything about Cezch literature beyond Milan Kundera. Kundera really is not as good as Vaclav Havel though.

>> No.2928336

>>2928322
Now, you're really being absurd. Tell me, which of Havel's plays do you consider worth the price of a ticket in the balcony? How many of them have you read?

Havel wasn't lying when he said the only reason his plays get on is because he was the president. Do you even know Josef Topol? Pavel Kohout? Children have more talent with dialogue and character than Havel did.

>> No.2928348

>>2928306
>he loves to talk how shitting and pissing is as beautiful as crying or something along those lines.

I was searching for some theme to tie up Kundera's entire body of work and i've now found it. Thanks.

>> No.2928403

>>2928348
Hahaha

Sounds like a fair assessment.