[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 310x390, ledostoevskyface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2927775 No.2927775[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /lit/ I was wondering if you guys could help me out. So, for as long as I lived my mother and brother (who are both Russian) love and adore Fyodor Dostoevsky. They hail him as the greatest writer of all time. But since I was born in America unlike them, I don't know any Russian and I don't have time to learn it but I want to read his work so badly. My problem is I cant decide what translation to read. Does anyone have any suggestions?

tl;dr I need Fyodor Dostoevsky translations. Good ones.

>> No.2927780

I like the Pevear and Volokhonsky translations, myself

>> No.2927789

Is Google broken?

>> No.2927790

>>2927780
Thanks, man. I'll check them out.

>> No.2927795

>>2927789
Want me to google "best Dostoevsky translations" so I can get some fuck tard on yahoo answers who's never read a book in his life? Nah.

>> No.2927800

>>2927795
Actually, there is quite a good amount of information out there. You have proven that you haven't even tried what is easily the easiest place to look.

You're more than happy to let some other people do the work for you, however.

>> No.2927813

>>2927800
I'm not asking anyone to do any work. I'm asking people to share their opinions on translations that they've read so I don't waste my money. Moreover I was hoping this thread would turn into a discussion of comparisons of the translations.

>> No.2927826

>>2927813
So why not do a little research, read what others have had to say about the topic, summarise it and use that information to start a discussion? You haven't made any effort to actually contribute anything to your "discussion" as far as I can see. Your thread is no better than any of the other "hey guize I bought so-and-so book, what should I expect?" threads.

>> No.2927836

Also, does anyone know anything about David Magarshack? I think I may have his translation of The Brothers Karamazov. I don't want to invest my time into it only to figure out it was shitty.

>> No.2927854

>>2927826
Those threads still inspire discussion about literature. And of course they could just go google brief descriptions on the book, but they come here instead. They do it because they value /lit/'s opinion and not some randoms on the internet. They also do it because it's more fun and you get to talk about books with your bros. What's your problem?

>> No.2927856

>>2927813
Not OP, but why do people like you care so much about the pettiest shit? It really depresses me every time I browse /lit/.

>> No.2927857

woop, >>2927826 meant for >>2927856

>> No.2927903

Welp, guess I'll look into Pevear and Volokhonsky. Thanks for the help guys.