[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 25 KB, 401x600, Stephen King It.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2924232 No.2924232[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So I've just finished Stephen King's It.

7/10

Not terrible by any stretch of the imagination but it falters quite badly in the last act of the book. The ending feels quite rushed and just a bit over dramatic. I don't understand why at some point the main antagonist ended up having to be a pregnant alien space spider from the end of super dark blacken-verse.

It might be worth a quick re-read in a few years. I just wish King had been able to keep up the pacing and quality in the first part of the book.

Also the interludes were quite boring. I understand the need to establish a history for Derry but in my mind they really destroyed the pacing.

Apparently the book has just been picked up to be made into a 2-part movie. I'll probably end up seeing it.

Thoughts on the book? King in general?

>> No.2924240

Isn't King pretty notorious for writing unsatisfactory endings? I've only read Different Seasons and The Shining, but the vibe I get when I read about his other books is always that the whole book is enjoyable and then the ending sucked.

>> No.2924247

>>2924240

Yea, and I suspected it was coming.

The problem is that he just gets too far ahead of himself. It seems to me that he writes without a clear ending, so at some point you have this giant spiraling story with no real way to end it.

He just seemed to run out of steam and push out an ending that wrapped up everything so he could move onto his next work.

>> No.2924268

What did you think of the kiddy-gangbang?

>> No.2924306

OP what do you mean the book JUST was picked up to be a two part movie???

It already was made into a two part movie...I have it on DVD, it's like a little over 4 hours I believe. It was made in 1990.

Here's the IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099864/

It's a pretty good movie/mini-series....worth seeing if you have the time.

>> No.2924327

>>2924268

Instant Boner of course

Joking, on a more serious note, I understand what King was trying to symbolize with the passage into adulthood. It just didn't quite work in my mind. Apparently everyone fucking Bev was to keep the group together for at least long enough for them to escape the sewers. It still just feels kinda thrown in to me.

>>2924306

http://www.inquisitr.com/250764/stephen-kings-it-remake-2012/

The re-make has just been given the greenlight. Apparently it'll have an R rating this time.

>> No.2924335

>>2924268

From his description, there is no doubt in my mind that the Beverly should have immediately been attracted to Ben.

But instead she has her fling with Bill. Also, saving Audra at the end was a bit lame.

In the end, she could have had the famous author who is a natural leader, or the former fat kid with a big penis.

Guess a big penis wins out in the end.

>> No.2924341

>>2924268

one of the dumbest things i've ever read in a book. i can deal with the half-assed ending but that gangbang is trademark king pedophilic nonsense.

>> No.2924368

I'm a pretty big fan of King. I know I know, make fun of me all you want. But what I really like about his prose is that he has a great way of writing what many people think in their heads. All the horrible things we think and would never say. It's like he's in touch with the selfish beast inside all of us. Like in Pet Sematary, the protagonist thinks some pretty negative things about his daughter. At times it's like he hates her, I'm sure a lot of us feel that way even though we'd never say it.

>> No.2924383

>>2924327

Here's hoping the new movie will turn out well. I think the story has potential if they stay true to the novel.

They should probably tweak the ending a bit though.