[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 181 KB, 696x900, 20080310obrien.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2922287 No.2922287[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

is tim o'brien any good? thinking of picking up "the things they carried."

i like full metal jacket and freud and gravity's rainbow. and homoeroticism in war.

>> No.2922298

gay

>> No.2922304

Read one of his books, remind us of your preferences as a reader, and tell us what you think.

>> No.2922885

I like O'Brien, things they carried was good. I'd rather suggest Herr's "Dispatches." Full Metal Jacket was largely based on Herr's actual experiences in Vietnam as a journalist.

>> No.2922886

read Flann O'Brien instead

>> No.2922900

the things they carried

to war they carried pots, helmets, cigarettes, pictures of boobies
to war they carried guns, bombs, machines,
to war they carried home the dead bodies of their comrades

the book is good. makes me want to be a soldier even i don't like war

>> No.2922917

It always makes me laugh that 4chan is said to be children, and some boards skew ages a bit higher through adults (or masters of subject 'oldfags'):

/lit/ is the one board that only has college students and high school seniors and nothing else.

tim o'brien thingstheycarried is on the undergrad word association flash card set you get with an english degree.

"In The Lake of the Woods" a novel after this great and profound vietnam war novel, continues with vietnam era but choosing to reflect upon a single man in the war.
Haunting and Powerful. Check it out. But you don't have to take my word for it.

(bad 70s audio mono processing buzz) BADUM-BUM

>> No.2924200

I had to read this my freshman year of high school. It was the only book I was required to read in high school that I read 3x just because I enjoyed it so much. Just a completely awesome book.

>> No.2924208

>>2922287

>i like full metal jacket and freud and gravity's rainbow. and homoeroticism in war

me too. let's be friends