[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 200x310, 200px-The_Stand_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2902537 No.2902537 [Reply] [Original]

I was never much of a reader but I recently bought myself a kobo to get into it. A friend suggested I read the uncut version of The Stand and I finished it (all 1500 pages of it) three days after downloading it. I'm not sure if it's considered pleb-tier or not but I'm nonetheless planning to dive into the dark tower universe. I've heard that I should read some other books (It, The dragons eyes...) before jumping straight into the dark tower series. Any suggestions on reading order or things to keep in mind? On a side note, Richard Flagg was an interesting character and I very much look forward to reading more of him.

>> No.2902544

>>2902537
Randall Flagg*

Fuck me now everyone will think I'm trolling.

>> No.2902572

>>2902544
Troll detected

>> No.2902575

>>2902572
It's not a hard mistake to make, he's also called richard fanin and richard freemantle in the books.

>> No.2902681
File: 32 KB, 467x325, 1339203051965.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I was never much of a reader but I recently bought myself a kobo

Yeah, have fun reading maybe 2-3 books before the novelty wears off and you go back to playing video games full time.
A fancy gizmo ain't gonna foster a love for reading.
So young, so naive...

>> No.2902685

I've heard good things about the Dark Tower series but it didn't seem like my kind of thing; I've also heard about it incorporating stuff from his other books. I liked The Stand (and man is that unabridged edition weird and creepy) and I thought the movie version of The Shining was OK but not great; would I like this series? Should I pick up other books first? (Which ones? Would I like them? Am I asking too many questions? Am I annoying people? Do they hate me now? Is everyone watching? Should I go in a corner and die? ... )

>> No.2902687

My dad (who's read the dark tower series) told me that characters and other elements from other King books turn up in the Dark Tower universe. I'm sure you could dive in now, but if you think you're going to read more King after the series, maybe do the other stuff first so the Dark Tower can be your King capstone.

Also, you may not want to do too much research online because of spoilers.