[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 365x600, gravity2002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2902460 No.2902460 [Reply] [Original]

Ok I have to ask, of all of you that have read GR (despite it being one of /lit/s favorite books, only about a quarter can have actually read it) how many Genuinely enjoyed it?

I ask because I've been reading it, in all its bone-crushing density, and found it kind of a grind. I can't read more than four pages without putting it down. Then I began to wonder, am I actually enjoying this, getting anything out of it, or am I just grinding through because other people have said its good?

>> No.2902466

I loved it - but it didn't hurt that I had a school assignment to motivate me to keep reading when the going got tough. Still, I can honestly say that I legitimately enjoyed it.

>> No.2902476

I havent read it yet but I keep hearing the word 'dense'. How so? In terms of descriptions? Anyone got any copypasta for an example?

>> No.2902490

>>2902476
There's just a lot of ideas/meaning crammed into each sentence. You have to basically stop to figure out what he meant sometimes. (I read somewhere that even Pynchon couldn't figure out what he meant in places cause he was so fucked up while writing it. Dunno if its true)

Ill find a quote

>> No.2902497

I really liked it. Got to through 50 pages a day because I was on vacation. I don't know but a lot of what I read beforehand about it was that it doesn't have plot, just meaningless drivel etc. but it the story is really straight-forward. Of course there are digressions but overall it paints a picture more like a mosaic and when you finish the book you can see it all come together. I dunno, it's not for everyone and I don't think you should force yourself.

>> No.2902499

>>2902490
if possible, a bit from the book

>> No.2902518

It's very funny. If you're not laughing then I don't think you should bother with it.

>> No.2902530 [DELETED] 

Flipped to random page.

"It's control, all these things arise from one difficulty : control. For the first time it was inside do you see. The control is put inside. No more need to suffer possibly under outside forces to view way it into any went as if...
" The market needed no longer run by the Invisible Hand but now creates its own logic, momentum, style, from inside putting the control inside was wrestling with the fact or had happened to you had dispensed with God. But you have taken on a greater and more harmful, illusion. The illusion of control. That A could do B. But that was false. Completely. No one can do. Things only happen, A and B are equal, are names for parts that ought to be inseparable..."
"More Ouspenskian nonsense, " whispers a lady by on the arm of a dock worker.

>> No.2902541

>>2902518
There are funny parts, (the bit qhere Solthop is eating the horrid English candy comes to mind ("his tongue was a hopeless holocaust")) but they are few and far in between.

>> No.2902543

>>2902530
the fuck am i reading.

>> No.2902554

"The four fins of the Rocket made a cross, another mandala. Number one pointed the way it would fly. Two for pitch, three for yaw and roll, four for pitch. Each opposite pair of vanes worked together, and moved in opposite senses. Opposites together. You can see how we might feel it speak to us, even if we don't set one up on its fins and worship it. But it was waiting for us when we came north to Germany so long ago . . even confused and uprooted as we were then, we knew that our destiny was tied up with its own."

>> No.2902556 [DELETED] 

>>2902530
"To view way..."
Is supposed to say
"--to veer into any wind. As if..."

>> No.2902564

The best part of GR, and most of Pynchon for that matter, is the characters that populate the novel. If you prefer plot to good characters and absurdity then you probably won't enjoy GR.

>> No.2902565

>>2902554
This is definitely an interesting read. Short and concise sentences with big ideas.

added to my lsit

>> No.2902643

"It's control, all these things arise from one difficulty : control. For the first time it was inside, do you see. The control is put inside. No more need to suffer possibly under 'outside forces'--to veer into any wind. As if...

"A market needed no longer be run by the Invisible Hand but now could create itself--its own logic, momentum, style, from inside. Putting the control inside was ratifying what de facto had happened to you had dispensed with God. But you have taken on a greater and more harmful, illusion. The illusion of control. That A could do B. But that was false. Completely. No one can do. Things only happen, A and B are equal, are names for parts that ought to be inseparable..."

"More Ouspenskian nonsense, " whispers a lady by on the arm of a dock worker.
>fixd

>> No.2902671

Roaches have claimed another victim

>> No.2902877

>>2902671
lol

joe-joe