[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 200x312, 200px-OfMiceAndMen[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2882015 No.2882015 [Reply] [Original]

Was there any required reading for school that you actually liked?

This and The Giver were the only ones for me.

>> No.2882021

King Lear, Macbeth, Hamlet, Lord of the Flies, The Great Gatsby, Gravity's Rainbow, Of Mice and Men, and I guess To Kill A Mockingbird was alright.

>> No.2882022

>>2882021
Oh yeah I forgot about To Kill A Mockingbird. That was pretty decent.

>> No.2882024

Huckleberry Finn
I was the only one in my class that enjoyed it....

>> No.2882028

>>2882021

GR was required reading for you in high school? The fuck?

>> No.2882029

>>2882028
What's so surprising about this?

>> No.2882033

>>2882031

Interesting. News to me.

>> No.2882031

>>2882028
I thought that was normal.

>> No.2882032

>>2882029

I've never heard that book mentioned as required reading for high schoolers. It seems like a pretty dense book for your average sixteen year old - was it for an advanced class?

>> No.2882035

>>2882032
No, I think everyone in our grade read it.

>> No.2882037

>>2882035

Curious. Well, it's a great book in any case

>> No.2882096

>>2882037
You know he's not serious, right?

>> No.2882103

I didnt care much for this book. It was the best John Steinbeck I've read but thats not saying much. The Giver was pretty badass. I like Fahrenheit 451, A Christmas Carol, My all time favorite book Catcher in the Rye (i had read before we did in class)

>> No.2882105

>>2882035
>She turns. "Hold up my fur." He obeys. "Be careful. Don't touch my skin." Earlier in this game she was nervous, constipated, wondering if this was anything like male impotence. But thoughtful Pointsman, anticipating this, has been sending laxative pills with her meals. Now her intestines whine softly, and she feels shit begin to slide down and out. He kneels with his arms up holding the rich cape. A dark turd appears out the crevice, out of the absolute darkness between her white buttocks. He spreads his knees, awkwardly, until he can feel the leather of her boots. He leans forward to surround the hot turd with his lips, sucking on it tenderly, licking along its lower side ... he is thinking, he's sorry, he can't help it, thinking of a Negro's penis, yes he knows it abrogates part of the conditions set, but it will not be denied, the image of a brute African who will make him behave. . . . The stink
of shit floods his nose, gathering him, surrounding

Yes, I'm sure this was required reading in your high school.

>> No.2882122

I honestly think that there hasn't been a single one that I disliked.
Except maybe the Red Badge of Courage.

>> No.2882142

>>2882096

I'm gullible and sleep deprived

>> No.2882187

I enjoyed Crime and Punishment, and Les Miserables. The Doll by Boleslav Prus was a college reading but among the favorites I read in school.

But Homer and Dickens were a slog to get through. In fact, I have a hard time enjoying most epic poetry.

>> No.2882197

>>2882015
I actually quite liked Of Mice And Men too. When I first heard about it, I instantly thought "Fuck—a book on American culture." I know not a great deal of American culture, but I learned a fair amount after this book, which is always good.

>> No.2882208

I started East of Eden, set it on my coffee table, couldn't find it the next day. Bummer.

The Outsiders, Romeo and Juliet, The Iliad, The Odyssey.

Does it count if I read the books before the school made me?

>> No.2882220

Quite a lot: The Sun Also Rises, Grapes of Wrath, Grendel, Animal Farm, Wuthering Heights, Picture of Dorian Gray, The Big Sleep, The Razor's Edge, Washington Square, all the Shakespeare plays we read, plus other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Not going to list specific short stories but liked a number of those too (all the Hemingway ones for sure).

>> No.2882261

lots of them. i enjoyed english. i just wasnt very smart.

>> No.2882266

I liked Gatsby a little.

My favorite was AP Comp, when we got to read all kinds of essays.

>> No.2882322

Of mice and man was the only one i can remember liking.
We dint really have a lot to read, i just read on my own time.
The only books i remember being required were Of Mice and Man, Outsiders and some book about some girl finding a magic immortality pond near a tree in a forest (never remembered the name of that one)
Also reading shorts of Edgar Allen Poe was awesome.
Being in a french school, english was more loose in its studies.

>> No.2882385

The only classic prescribed reading I liked was Animal Farm and Of Mice and Men.

>> No.2882429
File: 44 KB, 292x475, the scarlet letter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It has since shaped the way I write.

>> No.2882576

I'm from Germany and there were plenty, I think the curriculum for German here is actually quite good. Which is really an exception though:

>Faust
>Werther
>Tales from the Vienna Wood (Ödön von Horváth)
>All Quiet on the Western Front
>Mother Courage and Her Children

In English we read Fahrenheit 451 which was quite good. Apart from that absolute shit like Holes and About a Boy.

>> No.2882599

>>2882576
About a Boy is hardly shit, Fritz. Then again, English education in Germany is rather poor, so I am not surprised that the overall selection of novels in that subject was less than great.

Anyway, I'm from Norway and this is what we read:

>Junior high school
*A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen
*Beatles by Lars Saabye Christensen
*Holes by Louis Sachar
*Pan by Knut Hamsun
*Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare

>High school
*Brand by Henrik Ibsen
*Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee
*Dubliners by James Joyce
*Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
*Hunger by Knut Hamsun
*Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen
*The Stranger by Albert Camus
*The Trial by Franz Kafka
*The Wild Duck by Henrik Ibsen

A decent mix; some good and some bad.

>> No.2882600
File: 5 KB, 226x223, footprints.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We studied a short story in biology class (I'm from Texas) called Footprints in the Sand. It was beautiful and moving and explained how beaches are created.

God I wish I could find it again.

>> No.2882608

To Kill a Mockingbird. Liked it a lot.

>> No.2882715

The Giver, To Kill A Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, Night and especially Fahrenheit 451.