[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 141 KB, 529x359, 1343188039170.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2841776 No.2841776 [Reply] [Original]

>Don't understand something in film/literature/art
>Instead of just asking someone or looking it up, read/watch/look at the work you didn't understand
>Spend days trying to get it
>That sudden rush when it all clicks
>That realization that you figured it out by yourself
>That feel when you can now go and talk to the other people who understand it, but talk to them with your own understanding, and not just one copy and pasted from someone smarter than you

This really is the greatest of feels. Anyone have something in particular that they did this with? A book? A movie?

It just feels great.

>> No.2841792

I think I used to look down on critical literature, but after a while you realize there's only so much you can think of by yourself(yes, it might be more rewarding, but you've got to admit after a while it get a bit repetitive). Also, it is a matter of how ou choose to read criticism: there's the fanatic "EVERYTHING THAT THE AUTHOR SAYS IS TRUE. And there is no other right way of thinking about it" , and then there' just adding it to your ideas, seeing ideas of a particular as adding to the collective bank of thought based on that piece of writing. It almost becomes a conversation. So that thing your high school teacher said about three being no 'wrong interpretation' well, he was right. So just keep your mind open <3

>> No.2841794

Pretty much every movie, book, and game I have ever played with any meaning to it? It's pretty fucking sad and telling of your age that you are accustomed to reading Wikipedia instead of actually analyzing things.

This is a terrible thread and you should feel godawful that you think this is something special.

>> No.2841803

>>2841776
Did that with Finnegans Wake. Took a lot of time. Wasn't that rewarding though.

>> No.2841811

That feel OP, that fucking feel.

>Riding the wave of a book you're totally into
>Plunging deep into it having hard feels
>The pages are thinning
>You're riding the wave
>That feel of turning the last page
>OMGHOLYFUCK the words only go down to half of this page
>Finish the book
>Lay in bed taking in what you just expirienced

>> No.2841812

>>2841803
Mainly because you can't just 'get it'. There are almost always multiple interpretations of a work.

>> No.2841815

>>2841776
>That feel when you can now go and talk to the other people who understand it, but talk to them with your own understanding, and not just one copy and pasted from someone smarter than you

It doesn't work like that for me. What happens with me, is I come up with a conclusion that's just different enough from other people, usually, that they disagree with me about my interpretation. I think this is probably a result of my strange and varied upbringing. It sucks being outside of the mean, man, it really does.

>> No.2841841

>>2841811
Oh man... you've got me fapping now.

>> No.2841846
File: 681 KB, 800x800, 46yh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2841811

>> No.2841848

>know there is nothing worthwhile to analyze in shitty works from shitty liberal arts who don't know anything about anything yet act as philosophers hiding behind symbolism
>don't bother wasting my neurons away "analyzing" shit
>stop reading fiction
Feels pretty good

>> No.2841851

>>2841848

>>>/sci/
>>>/autism/

>> No.2841860

>>2841848
That is more depressing than all the tfw no gf threads combined. You will never know these feels.

>> No.2841864

>sitting on the couch
>bowl of grapes
>reading this thread
>gonna start reading
>gonna switch between some Tolle and some Great Short Stories of the Masters

good feels

>> No.2841865

I understood Heidegger's "The Question of Technology" the second read. But it was kind of a let down.

>> No.2841875

>>2841811
>dat last passage

>> No.2841882

>>2841848
>implying nonfiction is objectively substantiated
>implying that even if it were, it wouldn't be subjected to multiple interpretations of the text, making null its objective substantiation to the reader
>implying fiction doesn't improve the lives of the neurotic and emotionally disassociated
>implying literary theory doesn't offer substantive philosophical insights
>implying that Joyce and Dostoevsky don't present stunning psychological portraits and regarding the development of the individual
>implying that the inherent psychological process in producing fiction doesn't offer psychological insights
>implying that symbolism and symbology isn't a significant element of human culture
>implying that you're better than shitty liberal arts majors analyzing fiction works because you analyze nonfiction works
>implying that I don't agree with every point you made

>> No.2841887

>>2841848
I hate cunts like you.