[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.36 MB, 320x240, how can you be so stupid.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2839663 No.2839663[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>When the only person you can have intellectual discussion with literature winds up being a drooling pedant who spends the entire time discussing the painfully obvious (like literally reiterating plot points and character traits) and how the book made them "feel"

Will I ever meet anyone who can closely read a text and carry on enlightened conversation, /lit/?

>> No.2839664

Stop being an asshole, OP.

Seriously, this board has some good quality posts but I feel like punching most of the userbase in the face for being such insufferable pricks. Contrast with /sci/, which is filled which shitposting but non-shitposters are helpful, knowledgeable and smart individuals. Contrast with /tg/, where there is no shitposting and literally everyone is mature and friendly to each other.

>> No.2839764
File: 16 KB, 480x360, bDkZ7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>discussing [...] how the book made them "feel"
Dude, it's all about the feel.

>> No.2839782
File: 60 KB, 642x590, tattoo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An intelligent person might not get a great deal out of an ordinary conversation, but an ordinary person will get precisely nothing out of an intelligent conversation. Learn to become interested in other people (this is a quality you will observe, uniformly, in great writers) and, for your own sake, find someone 'on your level'.

Remember, however unfortunate it may be, that literature is now a 'hobby'. Expecting everyone to 'get it' is like anticipating that everyone you meet has knowledge of, and passion for, fencing, scuba diving, parachuting or stamp collecting.

>> No.2839784

What's the point of doing sloppy analysis and close reading through a conversation?

I write papers for that sort of thing. If you want me to get non-superficial, take one of my classes and let me lecture for a while.

>> No.2839788

>>2839784
Thats cool, are you a phd student? I also want to do that after undergrad, and eventually become a professor.

>> No.2839802

>>2839784

>What's the point of doing sloppy analysis and close reading through a conversation?

What's the point of that shit in the first place?

>> No.2839806

>>2839802

What's the point of anything?

>It makes you happy
>It doesn't harm anyone

Reason enough.

>> No.2839820

>>2839663
If you love close reading and whining about little details and such, studying literature academically may be perfect for you.