[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

[SPOILER] No.2829948[SPOILER]  [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I want to read the Iliad...

Is it hard to understand? Is there a best translation? Is it worth it?

to those who've read it: How does it measure next to the creativity and story telling of a good Heinlein or Asimov Novel?

Would I 'believe' that this was a sort of fantasy or does it read like the bible?

(Also, I'm at that part in my life (or, have reached it, as to not imply that t wouldn't last) where I can read something such as "Speak to me not of it" and automatically hear it in the same tone as "Don't tell me that shit" . . . So, with that in mind.)

>> No.2829959

I recently got The Iliad too OP, and I gave your question a lot of consideration. I ended up getting the Penguin Classics version and it is great. Better than I expected actually. It's not hard to understand at all. It is not as dry as I expected. You will find that the structure and recurring themes are shaped by the culture of the day.

>Would I 'believe' that this was a sort of fantasy or does it read like the bible?
Don't even know what you mean. Read it and enjoy.

>> No.2829964

pleb overdose
can't go on

kill /lit/

>> No.2829966

no

i really liked alexander pope's, his verse is topnotch

definitely, it's essential really

obviously it's been borrowed from plenty, and it's not as good as The Odyssey, but it's still plenty imaginative and interesting to read

yes, it's fiction through and through

>> No.2829997

OP here, I have the one by Ennis Rees.