[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 144 KB, 525x490, Wheel-of-Time.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2794009 No.2794009[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What do you guys think of the Wheel of Time series? I'm nearing the end of the first book, and I've enjoyed it thus far.

Is the entire series good? How does it compare to other fantasy series (Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.)?

Thanks.

>> No.2794026

>fantasy

i am LITERALLY laughing right now

>> No.2794039

>>2794026

"Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in imaginary worlds where magic is common. Fantasy is generally distinguished from the genre of science fiction by the expectation that it steers clear of scientific themes, though there is a great deal of overlap between the two, both of which are subgenres of speculative fiction."

All three of those series fit that description easily.

So... you're laughing at?

>> No.2794070

I found the first so incredibly slow and boring that I stopped once they got in that abandoned city.
Just put the book down now and read the First Law Trilogy.

>> No.2794073

>>2794039
>using magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot, theme, or setting
> not using characterization, real world concerns, the human condition, or literally anything else as a primary element of plot theme or setting

>> No.2794086

>>2793478
>>2793053
Please browse before making a thread.

Polite sage and report for being a fucktard.
:)

>> No.2794091

>>2794073
Trust me, the way you act, by which I mean a childish, augmentative little prick, is not going to sway anyone to your side. I'm sure you know that from your sparse real-world interactions. If anything, you're a fucking idiot whose preventing others from liking the books you like because you're such a bitchy little cunt.

>> No.2794102

>>2794009
OP, The first book is by far the WORST in the series. For me its was the single worst book I had ever read up to that point. Im still surprised that I decided to stick with it. It only gets from there, untill the 7 book where it tappers off and maintains a level of excellence (but by no means perfection). I really like the series and I have since re-read it a couple time so believe me when I say that the series is inherently a flawed gem.

>> No.2794103

I stopped in the middle of one of the endless and boring huntin' Black Ajah subplots in book six. I'd like to go through them again, but am daunted by how long that would take.