[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 14 KB, 288x174, ter ence.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2793804 No.2793804[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts on Terence McKenna, /lit/? Personally found Food of the Gods quite compelling. He streams his ideas with an impressive flow of lyricism at times.

>> No.2793807

He's a pretentious asshole.

>> No.2793810

Bit of a fag.

>> No.2793812

I've only read Food of the Gods, which I greatly enjoyed but can't really agree with in most matters. Compelling is the right word though.

His voice is out of this world though, he's a strange little machine elf himself.

>> No.2793816

>Thoughts on Terence McKenna

"Come on man, taste this red and purple. Groovy!"

>> No.2793818

>Pretentious
There's that word again.
Humans evolving because they took too many magic mushrooms is many things, such as fucking retarded but it's not pretentious.

>> No.2793823

I like Food of the Gods too. That Time Wave Zero 2012 shit better go down on December 21st or I'm gonna be pissed.

But some of his stuff is kinda crazy, on other stuff (like culture) his insight is interesting. He's a very good orator regardless.

>> No.2793833

Fuck his books. His talks is whats interesting. www.matrixmasters.net/salon

>> No.2793845

Steve Buscemi, is that you?

>> No.2793854

>>2793823

I'm looking forward to the whole 2012 thing primarily because it's a win-win situation. Either everyone who believes it will look like retards or something awesome will happen.

>> No.2793858

>>2793823
Terence moved away from his timewave theory or dismissed it. (thank god he did. We don't want him looking all silly)

>> No.2793860

I like his talks. He has wonderful stuff on alchemy, he admits that alchemy as a field is largely nonsense but he has a wonderful take on the history and the psychology of alchemists.

He also has a very interesting take on James Joyce

>> No.2793930

i love magic mushrooms and think they're generally good for people but as a cause of evolution, i'm skeptical. also skeptical about a bunch of his other theories like that physics is changing beause it's evolving

>> No.2793977

>>2793930

The last time I ate mushrooms I did not come down for six weeks. But I have schizophrenia in my genes so I shouldn't have been fucking with them in the first place.

>> No.2794764

McKenna (Or "T-Mack" as I like to call him) was a good egg. He was a first rate orator, didn't take himself too seriously or worry about being wrong, and occasionally he came out with really exciting ideas or at least exciting rhetoric.

>I don't think the world is made of matter, I think it is made of language.

>> No.2794772

Gollum, is that you?

>> No.2794780

>>2794764

Kabbalist-based gods in the house!

>> No.2794781

He's the original Joe Rogan.

>> No.2794795

He died from a mushroom shaped tumor in his brain.
He did so many mushrooms he was turning into a mushroom.
Hes alright in my book.

>> No.2794803

>>2793977
yeah, that's why i say generally. people with mental issues like schizophrenia, borderline, or even panic attacks should not attempt

>> No.2794805
File: 112 KB, 371x372, 1341468297800.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic related

>> No.2794807

>>2794781
25% off the number one sex toy for men. All day, bitches.

>> No.2794808

Full of bullshit, in particularly his 2012 theory thing which he asserted yet never explained

>> No.2794839

"The real secret of magic is that the world is made of words, and that if you know the words that the world is made of you can make of it whatever you wish."

-Terence McKenna

>> No.2794847

>>2794839

This is "true". Whatever that means. Magic is real. High time to get working.

>> No.2794861

>>2794847
I still can't work out if he is a nutcase or a genius. I have listened to a lot of his speeches and read a lot of his work, and it seems to be total brilliance merged with hippy idealistic pseudo-science.

>> No.2794877

nothing druggies say matter

>> No.2794879

>>2794861

More the latter than the former. He was looking in the right direction. The Blake-Nieztsche-Jung-Crowley-psychedelic-shamanistic direction. It's the future imo. The new frontier. And like he said the drugs are becoming available so that anyone interested and determined enough can get help setting off.

>> No.2794884

This thread should be stickied so that all /lit/ newcomers can get an idea of the mental competence of its userbase.

>> No.2794892

>>2794884
seconded

>> No.2794896

>>2794877
>nothing druggies say matter

"Progress of human civilization in the area of defining human freedom is not made from the top down. No king, no parliment, no government ever extended to the people more rights than the people insisted upon. And I think we've come to a place with this psycedelic issue. And we have the gay community as a model, and all the other communities, the ethnic communities. We simply have to say, Look: LSD has been around for fifty years now, we just celebrated the birthday. It ain't going away. WE are not going away. We are not slack-jawed, dazed, glazed, unemployable psychotic creeps. We are pillars of society. You can't run your computers, your fashion houses, your publishing houses, your damn magazines, you can't do anything in culture without psychedelic people in key positions. And this is the great unspoken truth of American Creativity. So I think it's basically time to just come out of the closet and go, "You know what, I'm stoned, and I'm proud."

>> No.2794901

>>2794884
>>2794892

>dat snippy, inarticulate bitching

>> No.2794916

>>2794896
Drugs are redundant as far as human evolution is concerned.

>> No.2794922

>McKenna on Morality
It's pretty simple, the ethical life - it's just demanding . . . The moral life does not consist of wheat grass diet, or affirmation, or any of that. The moral life is - unless you're at Esalen - you should clothe the naked, you should feed the hungry, comfort the afflicted, bury the dead, and there are a couple others - obvious - things to be done. It's not about how many prostrations you do, or what lineage you've associated yourself with, or how much cholesterol is in your diet. And somehow we have confused the ethical and moral dimension with the dimension of physical practices - probably because we have been too infected by the memes of tired Asian religions that long ago gave up moral philosophy in favor of rotational activity - because the social problems of Asia are overwhelming - that's a response to an overwhelming human tragedy - the quietude of Asian religion.

>> No.2794923

>>2794922

>McKenna on Society and pop-culture
"We have to stop CONSUMING our culture. We have to CREATE culture. DON'T watch TV, DON'T read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your OWN roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are -- NOW -- is the most immediate sector of your universe. And if you're worrying about Kim Kardashian or Justin Bieber(1) or somebody else, then you are disempowered. You're giving it all away to ICONS. Icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that, you want to dress like X or have lips like Y... This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion. What is real is you, and your friends, your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And, we are told No, you're unimportant, you're peripheral -- get a degree, get a job, get a this, get that, and then you're a player. You don't even want to play that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

1. Updated from Michael Jackson for cultural relevance.

>> No.2794931

>>2794901
There is no reasoning with the insane. You believe in silly, bullshit. Retarded hyper-spatial theories of consciousness and childish searches for the "truth" and "key" to life based on mild distortions of the central nervous system.

You think it's profound now, but you'll be laughing at yourself a year from now.

>> No.2794965

>>2794931

Your jerky knees are projecting.

>There's no reasoning with the insane.

McKenna was not insane.

>You believe in silly, bullshit.

You haven't a clue what I believe

>Retarded hyper-spatial theories of consciousness and childish searches for the "truth" and "key" to life based on mild distortions of the central nervous system.

Psychedelic experience is more than a mild distortion.

Those distortions are possible without the drugs too.

To guess, hyper-dimensional speculation in physics is cool by you? Whereas communicating actual lived experience in those terms is "retarded"...

>You think it's profound now, but you'll be laughing at yourself a year from now.

I don't think McKenna was profound, per se. I think he was interesting, had his intellectual compass pointing in the right direction, and approached psychedelics with guts and brains and honesty.

Oh, and I absolutely never, ever laugh at myself.

>> No.2796069

>>2794922
He didn't really 'get' philosophy did he?

>> No.2796089

I do believe that "Life was meant to be spent as the preparation for the transition into another dimension..." - Terence
Because I do believe that the transition into another dimension is all about the fulfillment and acceptance of completion of life itself anyway, and to die with a clear conscience so that you can move on without regret... The next dimension to move into? That is metaphysics beyond me....

>> No.2796094

>>2796089

"I always thought death would come on the freeway in a few horrifying moments, so you'd have no time to sort it out. Having months to look at it and think about it and talk to people and hear what they have to say, it's a kind of blessing. It's certainly an opportunity to grow up and get a grip and sort it all out. Just being told by an unsmiling guy in a white coat that you're going to be dead in four months definitely turns on the lights. ... It makes life rich and poignant. When it first happened, and I got these diagnoses, I could see the light of eternity, a la William Blake, shining through every leaf. I mean, a bug walking across the ground moved me to tears."

-Terence McKenne when diagnosed with a brain tumor and told he has 4 months to live

>> No.2796097

>>2793804
My favourite T-Mack quote:

"“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.”

>> No.2796098

Since dumb people talk about things (drugs), Normal people talk about people (Terence), and smart people talk about ideas (Ideas of Terence), I think I must stoop to both dumb, normal, and smart intelligence by saying "Drugs (things) are useful in helping people (like terence) cope with the involuntary transition into alternate dimensions... That an experienced psychonaut in my opinion, is probably the only person who is ready for and not afraid of the infinite possibilities of our imminent separation of Mind from Body... Also, suck a dick @ >Nothing Druggies Say Matter...

>> No.2796105
File: 189 KB, 320x240, Meme_-_Clapping.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bravo, I had the same experience my self... Terence is an extremely valuable mind towards the preparation for the transition to another dimension... If I could have lived my entire life as if I would have to relive it when the whole thing flashes before me, a very thankful life I would live...

>> No.2796109

>>2796098
> involuntary transition into alternate dimensions

Terence didn't actually believe in other dimensions and a 'soul' in the traditional sense. He thought everything on a drug trip was the creation of your own mind, yet everything is related and will affect everything else.

"People are so alienated from their own consciousness that when they meet their consciousness they think it comes from another dimensional star system."

>> No.2796240

>>2794965
>Oh, and I absolutely never, ever laugh at myself.
Why? What kind of life is that?

>> No.2796240,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>2793858
Except he didn't.