[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 515 KB, 1600x1067, 1336510919441.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2787857 No.2787857[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Existential wonder general

>> No.2787862
File: 625 KB, 256x256, 8-cell.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Absurdism: "I saw everything and it's all so absurd!"
Nihilism: "I saw everything and it's fucking nothing"
Quietism: "I saw everything and there is nothing I can say about it"
Taoism: "I saw everything and I call it Tao"
Pessimism: “I saw everything and it sucks”
Optimism: “I saw everything and it rocks”

They all saw the same thing, but reacted differently because of the way they approached the thing when they began thinking about it:

Absurdism: had hopes for some sense in things
Nihilism: had hopes for wholeness and completeness
Quietism: had hopes to have something to say once they get there
Taoism: had no names for their hopes, so they had to come up with a name for what they found
Pessimism: had hopes for something that is not bad
Optimism: had hopes for something that is not good

To me, they are not conclusions, but reactions to the same thing. I find it cool that some of these philosophies acknowledged that there is no intrinsic value to the everything, for not having it is intrinsic to it.

>> No.2787864

>>2787862
stop fucking copypasting that stupid bullshit
nihilism is fucking stupid too
you fucking pseudo-humble nerd

>> No.2787888

>>2787864

He's got a rather good point, what's your problem?

>> No.2787898

>>2787862

>>>Optimism: had hopes for something that is not good

Sure is retarded in here.

>> No.2787896

>I find it cool that some of these philosophies acknowledged that there is no intrinsic value to the everything, for not having it is intrinsic to it.

circular reasoning and wrong

get fucked

>> No.2787899

>>2787896
I challenge you not to fall for some sort of tautology.

>> No.2787904

>>2787898
That is the opposite because it's about a more essential premise than a conclusion. What leads to an optimistic conclusion is the fact that there was some primal fear that things could be not-good. When one concludes that this not-good thing does not exist, one gets to be an optimist.

>> No.2787915

>>2787904

>>>What leads to an optimistic conclusion is the fact that there was some primal fear that things could be not-good.

Why fear? Why not desire for the good as the premise? It's flimsy as fuck, man, and just downright stupid.

>> No.2787919

>>2787862
Buddhism: I saw it and I didnt see it, I saw everything and I saw nothing. And all 4 are an illusion.

>> No.2787969

>>2787915
When two people disagree on something, it's easy to think that the other simply couldn't get to the truth, and that one must go even further, surpassing the other's conclusion.

My personal opinion on this is that they all eventually reached this something, but this something deflects their own premises no matter what they were. So the opinions are not a product of not getting there, but a reflection of their starting point.

Say, I tell you that "all is good". If you think I didn't reach this all, you'd call me optimistic, that is, I'd be projecting a personal value onto it. But if you assume I got to this all and got back with that opinion and if you understand that value is still something that comes directly from us, the conclusion that "all is good" can only be made if I expected something different from it.

All I'm saying is that I believe they reached the same thing, but as we can't analyze anything without putting ourselves into it, the values remain as biased as before, but flipped over.

>> No.2787975

>>2787919
fuck buddhism

>> No.2788048

>>2787969

>My personal opinion on this is that they all eventually reached this something, but this something deflects their own premises no matter what they were. So the opinions are not a product of not getting there, but a reflection of their starting point.

Exactly. I like to call that point Catastrophe. It can happen at any time in your life for any reason (for me it was abusing psychocatastrophic agents like LSD). Once you have that Catastrophe your ego is gone and you are a babby again. And you must build a new, better, stronger, more intelligent, more compassionate ego to replace the shitty old one.

Of course I'm not a drug advocate I no longer use such substances. The Catastrophe can be a divorce, or a period of unemployment, or even come about without much external stress at all. But it Has To Happen for you to be a fully developed human being.