[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 214x317, MV5BMjExNDYxMzc0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODIxMjQ1Nw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2779905 No.2779905[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

1/3
Hi /lit/.

I created this for 2 things: To show my reasons why i stopped reading RR Martin's series. And a suggestion to pick another epic fantasy series.

I stopped reading at the half of the third volume. Why? It won't do my expectancies. I know that it's a childish thing to say. But in Martin's world everything is really interesting to put fantasy things below and cover up with a heavy and large layer of realism. Too much realism. Slow spreading news, very mortal characters and absence of allegories. Actually this allegories' absence annoyed me. I really hoped to something get at epic level (conflict of concepts/ideas/paradigms and so on) or a clear objective to the characters. But the realism don't let it happen. With the not-so-slow pacing i couldn't restrain myself and asked what would happen afterward. So here is a small disappointments that gave me that ultimatum:

>> No.2779910

2/3
SPOILERS of every book thus far:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
My first question was the only thing that kept me reading thus far. The R'hllor's opposite. if it would do a greater role at the serie. And the only answer i got were "maybe" (with Bran [will be] becoming it's 'paladin'. That moment made me quit. I was really hoping for the 'night'. Because there was an interesting sanity approach of Davos' sanity when he was locked away for threatening Melisandre's death. That approach was of him starting to appreciate the darkness and feeling insane about it. man that got my hopes really high. But knowing that it would get to nothing was really ...harsh. After it I wondered what kept me in the series. Any character in particular and only Bran came in mind. Only one. I asked what would become of him the answer was simple "Almost nothing, He doesn't show much". And asked general questions of everything... The only mystery i founded worthwhile was to know what Valyria is about. As for the rest is pure chaos. No objective or goal at all for the characters, the realism let that way 'just live and do the possible in reach but be careful you can get killed with anything sharp'.

END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS

>> No.2779916

3/3
I know the main characteristic of the series is the realism (with dragons!). But reading it made me feel reading a simple novella. Something Sydney Sheldon could do. Many characters and almost none of them with same goal. And I don't like that.

So. I like something with a more clear goal or not too many parallel stories to get tracking. I am giving a good look at the recommendation book's wiki. But it's hard to know if any other fantasy story would frustrate me. I am with good eyes on The Witcher book series (I played the 2 games and somewhat familiar of the universe) and the "The darkness That comes before" on wiki said that is heavily philosophic centered, so I would found all the allegories i want :) . Any 'obvious' series i am missing? Please feel free to criticize my childish arguments or to suggest a good serie.

>> No.2779921

lotr

>> No.2779929

so you dont know the red wedding?

>> No.2779930

PR3TTY MUCH 4NY OTH3R F4NT4SY S3R13S TH3N

W3LL NOT R34LLY BUT 4 LOT S33M TO FOLLOW TH3 FORMUL4 YOUR3 LOOK1NG FOR

TRY TH3 B3LG4R14D 1F YOU H4V3NT 4LR34DY

>> No.2779936

>>2779921
Already read that. But i don't like everything black and white.

>>2779929
I know of it. But just add more chaos to the serie.

>> No.2779937

Do you really expect me to read ALL that SHIT

>> No.2779939

What's your first language OP

I'd try to make it to the end of the third volume before giving up. If you don't like it by that point, then it's only downhill from there. If you're looking for philosophical literature, fantasy is a pretty meagre genre

>> No.2779953

OP your posts are nearly unintelligible.

>> No.2779959

Try Moorcock's Eternal champion

>> No.2779960

>>2779930
Didn't read it. I'll look into it.
>>2779937
This is /lit/, isn't it?
>>2779939
I know what you mean... But I think there is so much ground that fantasy provides as sci-fi does. I thought that would be a gem book with that. My first language is portuguese. So sorry for the obvious grammar mistakes.

>> No.2779964

>>2779936
>just add more chaos to the serie.
So.... you want the saga to be more predictable? As in, obvious hints that Jon snow will end up in the iron throne and Sansa will bla bla bla?

I thought unpredictability and diversity was something good, especially in the fantasy genre.

>> No.2779970

Hm you could try The Malzan Tale of the Fallen.
It is a story that focuses on war and conflicts. There are a lot of battles and a lot of action. It is also quiet brutal / gory at times.
And there is a lot of magic, different races and shit.
I enjoyed it quiet a lot when I first read it.
On the other hand, the characters are badass as hell, but there is also a lot of 'powerleveling' stuff happening. And a lot of the characters don't really get developed well.

Also a warning, book one is the worst of the series, but it is still important for the storyline, so don't skip it. The reason is, that it was first planned as a movie script or something and was later reworked into a novel. Things pick up at book 2 though.

>> No.2779976

>>2779905

Try 'The Kingslayer Chronicle', surprisingly good series (At the moment two books are out, and it's a trilogy) especially so since the author is relatively unknown.

>> No.2779978

>>2779976

Make that Kingkiller, goddamnit. I can't even recite titles of book I've read from memory.

>> No.2779980

>>2779976
>especially so since ug
lmaoooooo

>> No.2780005

>>2779959
Eternal conflict of law and chaos? And no one should emerge victorious? Loved it. Really.

>>2779964

Not predictable but a 'known' climax point. Some goal that everyone would do a role. That the ending would be the result of it. But there's nothing of that. Just stuff happening and so on.

>>2779970
it's a ton of books and pages. Thankfully each book completes it's major plot. High fantasy? Although i would like to choose one with divine/magic powers with a whole mystery/madness aura... but existent. (I am speculating don't know if it is that way in the books) But Might give it a try... I think i can actually like it.

>>2779978

I found that interesting... But the wiki there's no information if it is high fantasy or low fantasy.

>> No.2780017

>>2780005
The Malazan books are great. I would not call it high fantasy however, its too grimdark for that. The mages are much more like Howard mages than like DnD mages.

Books 2,3,4, and 5 are fantastic. They start becoming poor after that.

>> No.2781136

>>2779910
>2012
>believing in R'hollor

ISKIPPITYDODA

>> No.2781141

The series isn't even finished, so Martin could pull some sort of good vs evil shit with the others.

But I like it how it is, it's a different sort of story for sure, but a good one. It's arguably a pretty accurate snapshot of realistic human behavior put into a fantasy setting.

You can draw more ideas about contemporary society from that than from stories with unrealistic and one dimensional characters with tremendously thick plot armor.