[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 25 KB, 324x400, Rousseau-001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2762382 No.2762382 [Reply] [Original]

It's Rousseau's 300th birthday today, lit.
Have you read him? Did you like his works?
I've got my hands on one of his books only recently, the title being "Discourse on Inequality". I thought it was impressive and logically sound (of course, the idea of the nature human being highly hypothetical) and it's obvious that his concepts influenced and predicted the French Revolution. Actually, his works were used by Danton and thus gained a broader audience.

What should I read next? Contrat social?

>> No.2762388

Only read his bio.It was pretty decent but too much self pity.

>> No.2762396

>>2762388
That's why I wanted to avoid reading the bio. It's ironic how he started looking down on the theatre and criticising it only after he failed to become a successful opera writer.

>> No.2762491

Contrat social is good. Especially when he talks about the legislator at the end.

Confessions is probably the best.

>> No.2762516

Rousseau is most important due to sparking the fire that raged during The French Revolution. When I first read him as a teenager, it was wholly free from the historical context.

If anyone's a teen and reading Rousseau for the first time, I'd strongly urge you to read about the French Revolution, too, and how his words were quoted on a daily basis during that pivotal time.